Advice. May Ignore, But Still Asking.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wenchie, Mar 6, 2024.

1. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I'm recovering from some semi-serious mobility issues, and this is the routine that AI generated for my recovery. My doctor will guide me through the PT, but the rest is keeping active and busy while I get better.

Eventually I'll be able to get myself a desk and a chair more ergonomically suited to working from home. But for now, I just need a better routine while I'm NOT working.

Any suggestions? I might not take them, but I'd love to hear them. Things you would add/change/remove. Thank you!

upload_2024-3-6_8-32-21.png

2. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Sorry Wenchie but I can't read the program and when I zoom the image up in a separate tab on my 55" 4K screen it becomes all blurry and unreadable. Have you got a higher res image perchance?
    Cheers
    joffa:cool:

3. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I have a pdf!

Attached Files:

4. joffa

Thanks and I can zoom up and read it easily :cool::D
    Looks pretty good to me. I found resistance bands were pretty good and you don't need all sorts of weights sets.
    My physio devised some of my exercises using a sturdy bench or a wall or a door jamb and they are similar to isometric exercises where you push or pull against something solid in a certain way and slowly build up strength.
    Don't underestimate elevating your legs (ankles should be higher than your heart) for at least an hour or two is better. I slacked off on this and now I have to wear compression wraps on my legs 24/7 due to developing lymphoedema.
    Drink plenty of water as that will help clear out nasties from your body.
    My sister has MS and she found doing large jigsaw puzzles to be good mental stimulation if you get sick of other things.
    Walking is good exercise even if you can only do it slowly. If you can only walk slowly then maybe try for a longer time but only if okay by the physio.
    If you can't do all the exercises at least keep trying and one day you will surprise yourself when you can suddenly do something you previously couldn't.
    Rehabilitation is all about slow and steady and doing light exercises consistently.
    It takes time and I am still working at it and although not particularly fit, I am still living. To clarify my situation I was told in 1999 that I only had 8 to 10 years to live (I have an incurable condition) to which I told the neurosurgeons and ophthalmologists that this was totally unacceptable as I wanted to see both my kids turn 21yo. That happened and now my goal is to see both of my kids get married and my son married last September but for my daughter it is not even on the horizon. I guess I will have to keep plugging away a for bit longer.

Good luck Wenchie and try not to get discouraged if things are improving too slowly. Even small increments of improvement make a difference to your overall wellbeing.......go girl :):cool:
    Feel free to PM me if you think you need some encouragement or some moral support:cool:

5. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

That's the tough part, not getting discouraged. And giving up when it feels like there's no progress.

I think you'll be around forever, personally, to see eventual grandkids turn 21. So... it's fine. :D

6. joffa

I agree it does take a fair bit of effort to not get discouraged and this is where friends and family can encourage you to keep focussed on your fitness goals. Good luck :)

Hmmm I wish this were true but my end is near. Last year I had a very close call and was really crook for a few months and nearly didn't pull through. Lucky I am a science project in progress and after lots of powerful medicine and hospital treatments I slowly came good. Still not out of the woods but better than I was early last year and taking less meds. For now I just count each day as a blessing and take things one day at a time ;)

fleppen likes this.
  7. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Oh... that's not fantastic, is it? I'm sorry.

Friends and family is precisely the issue. I haven't many/any to speak of. It's just me on my own, like always. They tell my "pure unadulterated spite" isn't a motivational tool, but it's worked so far... sometimes, it just isn't enough though. Lately I need extra pushes and I find there's nobody to push. I'll figure it out, as always, but sometimes it gets heavy. I miss the old days.

8. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Long warm soaks in a tub of Epsom salt.

9. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Stretching is huge.... I have a morning stretch routine while I wait for my coffee to brew.

Also -- staying away form inflammatory foods is a thing too.

If that doesn't work, never hurts to toss some bourbon in that coffee.

10. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

That's the secret ingredient to make coffee tolerable.

11. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Do you happen to have a rundown of what they are?

12. the mekanic

As we said back in the day on the field, flexibility is the key to non-injury.

13. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Yeah, it feels like a couple of years ago all of my tendons got really tight and inflexible. Hopefully if PT is unsuccessful, they'll finally send me for imaging to track down wtf is wrong with me.

There's a list...

14. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about your issues, Wenchie

I agree with all the stretching stuff. I was literally just talking to a good friend of mine on Saturday about this. Most back issues (and I'd imagine other issues) stem from other parts of your body being tight and basically pulling things in the wrong direction.

Good luck with it all.

15. the mekanic

One of my solid therapies is epsom salt soaks. There's nothing better to relax your whole body than a piping hot dose of magnesium sulfate, slowly absorbed by your tigmentary system. Major plus is a jetted tub for aquatherapy style percussive massage. It's done wonders for my protruding L5/S1 post injury. If freshly injured, you do risk inflaming the disk further and "making it angry" as my chiropractor would say. Trust me, I learned what not to do the hard way:rolleyes:. Personally, I think it just may be the "fountain of youth"...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  16. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I got to start PT today! Man, you guys, I am a MESS.

He immediately said he wanted imaging because he thinks I'm nursing a 15 year back injury, have an impingement in my right harm, and plantar fasciitis in both feet.

But whatever, now we're on the road to recovery!

17. JonahWales

JonahWales Staff Sergeant

im going on 70 and wont go to doctors usully now-i have my reasons..i think my hand shakes from Parkinsons

i have table in middleofroom and i try to walk or run around it about30times or less in the morning

18. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

Almost old enough to drink in Germany! :D

But best of luck with the recovery. Keep the faith that it'll get better. I know from experience that's the most difficult thing. That, and accepting that things will go slowly and certain things may never be 100% again. But at least we're alive. ALIVE!!!

19. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Ah yes, alive. Eligible to pay taxes, and... bills. Pass. :p

20. the mekanic

Your heel does a lot of work. I've learned my heels hurt less when I'm on my toes.

21. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

It seems I'm a spur farmer. Both feet, left hip and right shoulder. I make things grow! :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds