Nas Pricing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by birdiebd, Mar 27, 2024.

1. birdiebd

birdiebd Private E-2

My local computer guru suggests I have him install a NAS for backup.

I've known & used my guy for 20 years. Trust him 150% but he's still a sole proprietor & I'm always leery to him selling me more than what I need.

He said his NAS system with 12 TB would cost with tax around $2700.
    Ouch.
    I have a small home sole proprietor business & of course have lots of files (personal & business) but I'm curious what pricing others are seeing for a NAS.
    Thanks.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

That is high, if he is going off the shelf with Synlology or QNAP, maybe he is building in a support plan with it? Question would be how many drives is that and their sizes? Depending on how the NAS is setup (RAID), like if they have many redundant drives with 12TB usable. How much data do you have and how much do you want to keep? How many full, incremental system backups or just backup data and how many copies of the data you want/need to keep.

3. birdiebd

birdiebd Private E-2

my laptop husbands laptop
    Drives: 2 1
    Size: 16G 16G
    Data to keep: 12G 8G I'm guessing- this would include all software
    Backups: incremental incremental
    2 copies 2 copies He says this would backup on drive & into cloud

Is the NAS system something I can purchase & install myself? Or where else do I look for installers. At least I trust my guy not to steal or sell my data off like The Geek Squad with Best Buy.
    I'm in Texas.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

That price is high but not so high to make me think scam - if it includes all the hardware, it is quality hardware, and it includes installation, setup and support - at least for a few months.

Is that 12TB with hard drives or SSDs?

One thing to remember is any decent, robust backup plan includes multiple backup copies, preferably with at least one backup maintained off-site. Off-site is essential. If the data is of critical importance, you must be able to recover in case your house burns down, or Mother Nature is mad at you and throws lightning bolts directly at your house, or blows it away with a hurricane or tornado. Or a bad-guy looking for drug money breaks in and robs you of all your easy to pawn electronics.

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Is the NAS something you could do yourself? That is the hardest question to answer, not knowing your skill set. Maybe head over to youtube and watch a few videos about setting up an off the shelf NAS like Synology, QNAP, or whatever. It sounds like setting up a UnRAID or TrueNAS might be out of reach.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds