Trying To Stop 360 Total Security From Running

Discussion in 'Software' started by whitequeen96, Apr 10, 2024.

1. whitequeen96

whitequeen96 Private First Class

I just bought 360 Premium, but when I try to install it, it says I can't because 360 is currently running. I go to Task Manager, it shows as a Background Process twice (each 32 bit) and I can't End Task.

PLEASE, how do I get it to stop running in the background so I can install my 360 Premium?

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

3. whitequeen96

I don't have Norton. I read somewhere here that it's not that great and I don't want to pay for it. Would it be better if I get rid of 360 Premium and go with something else on here? I have Windows 10, but my pc doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Windows 11 (old pc).

4. the mekanic

Many of us here have been running MalwareBytes for years. The "360 Total Security" suite you are using is less than stellar, and there has been a known rogue version which was malware. You could try RevoUninstaller to remove it.

5. whitequeen96

Thank you! I'll try them both.

6. XoXgaming

XoXgaming Corporal

I agree with mekanic 360 total and most of the anti-virus is either malware or bloatware.In which case most of them use unnecessary amounts of computer resources to run.A lot of them come up with false positive scans.

Malwarebytes and adwarecleaner from bleeping computer are probably the best option.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

7. whitequeen96

I used Revo Uninstaller, and then downloaded and installed MalwareBytes. But I can't find the icon to turn it on! The illustration seems to show it at the end of the address line (or whatever you call it), but it's not there. When I "Type here to search" on the bottom left corner, I just get the offer to download it again. But I know it's on my computer because a pop-up from it just came up and offered to scan my digital footprint for free.

After I get this sorted out, I'll try adwcleaner. Thanks for the suggestion.

8. whitequeen96

OK, it looks like MalwareBytes is on. I found it under "Manage your extensions." So is it running constantly in the background? How do I know it's on? Do I have to check it each time I start up Firefox? Or is there some way I can get the icon to show up the way it does in the illustration, at the end of the address line, to show it's working?

It offers to "Scan your digital footprint," which looks good. But how do I run regular scans whenever I want? Because when I click on it on my desktop, it takes me to an offer of a 14 day digital trial of it's Premium version.

Sorry I have so many questions; you guys are saints!

BTW, I installed adwarecleaner as Gaming in Progress advised.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I have a tray icon. Note: I did not install any Malwarebytes extensions on browsers. What exactly are you running?

10. whitequeen96

I'm afraid most of what you say is Greek to me. Tray icon? I thought Malwarebytes has to be on browser to protect you from picking up viruses, etc.
    But my computer is running very slowly and freezing up. And when I look at Task Master, there are 41 Background Processes running. My CPU usually is less than 20, but Memory is at around 75% and Disk frequently surges to 100%. I usually just run Firefox, which shows in Apps Firefox (14) and also 7 times in Background Processes.
    Do I need all these Background Processes?

11. plodr

No, it doesn't need to be installed on a browser. It is an installed program and listed in my programs.
    Tray icon mbam_icon.jpg looks like an M.

When I right click it, I see it has The following 4 items turned on:
    Web Protection
    Malware Protection
    Ransomeware Protection
    Exploit Protection

12. plodr

Okay, I figured out exactly what you have installed: Malwarebytes Browser Guard. Since I've never installed it, I can't help you with that browser extension. I use a different program.

13. whitequeen96

Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it!

14. the mekanic

MalwareBytes is a full anti-malware suite and it's pretty darn affordable for one device. The free version requires more user input. Let's get it installed and scanning for threats with the free trial.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou

plodr likes this.
  15. whitequeen96

I did it; I removed the version of MalwareBytes I had, then set up and ran the version you gave the link to. I had 12 PUPs and 1 Registry Key that I quarantined. I feel so much better now; THANK YOU!

16. whitequeen96

A couple more questions, please! It shows my VPN is Public. The computer is in my home and only my son and I will use it. Should I change the VPN to Private?

I've got the icon pinned to my taskbar, but am unable to right click on it or on my desktop and get the items you mentioned. How do I know if it's currently working and protecting me from the things you listed? (see below)
    "When I right click it, I see it has The following 4 items turned on:
    Web Protection
    Malware Protection
    Ransomeware Protection
    Exploit Protection"

17. plodr

Sorry, I have no idea why you are unable to right click the Malwarebytes icon. I've been running MBAM since 2008 on various versions of 5 computers and never had that happen.

Why do you feel you need a VPN at home?
    One source: https://www.consumerreports.org/electronics-computers/vpn-services/should-you-use-a-vpn-a5562069524/

18. whitequeen96

I'm not even sure what a VPN is. I only asked because MalwareBytes showed me where I could change it to Private. From your response, I guess I don't need to make it private.
    When I open MalwareBytes, it shows that Real Time Protection is on and that it Scans every hour. I looked at their site and I seem to have what you have, so I feel comfortable now. Thank you again for all your help!

19. the mekanic

Well, it seems I may have to switch from Nord, to MBAM. I did not realize they added a VPN package to the roster.

20. XoXgaming

XoXgaming Corporal

Norton VPN is a scam.And any other anti-virus software that claims they have good VPN they don't.All the anti-virus software are bloatware.They can and will slow down your system.

21. the mekanic

NordVPN is not Norton.

22. plodr

23. XoXgaming

XoXgaming Corporal

I know lol. just stating that most of the software that are selling vpn's are a scam and way over priced.And you can kiss security good by.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds