What Is Your Favorite Hobby?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wenchie, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I'm in the market for a new one, and I was curious what "the kids" are up to these days?

What hobbies are you interested in?

SCT Guy likes this.
  2. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I have a large dedicated music room with a big and expensive stereo hi fi setup and I collect vinyl LP records and have over 1,000 LPs. Mostly contemporary music from the 70s up to current and I like most genres. I have a few jazz records but I don't have any opera or classical records as I am not really a fan. Many of my records are quite rare and are worth between $1,000 and $2,000 each and the whole collection is valued at over $40,000. Hopefully we never have a fire as many of my records couldn't be replaced and the insurance money wouldn't go far replacing like for like.
    Up the other end of my house I have a room for a 7.1 home theatre setup so if I want to watch movies then that is where I hang out.
    I also play PC based computer games on a 55" 4k OLED screen in my "office" and I have a good amp and speakers and a 1,000 watt RMS 12" subwoofer for all the bangs and crashes of battle and to hear things creeping up on you. I have a dedicated gaming keyboard and mouse as well as an Xbox game controller and although I prefer the keyboard and mouse for most games, some games like Elden Ring are too hard with keyboard and mouse and the game controller is the better option. I also have a Logitech steering wheel, pedals and gear shifter setup for playing car games but this doesn't get used so much these days and the same for the flight simulator joystick and throttle controls.
    My gaming PC is a 24 core AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro and has 64Gb of RAM, 2 X 1Tb NVMe SSDs and another 24Tbs of storage in 4 X 3.5" Enterprise HDDs. It also has an NVIDIA Ge Force 3090 turbo graphics card and an ASUS Xonar hi definition sound card. I am currently thinking of replacing it with a fast i9 setup or maybe I will go AMD again......still not decided.
    Other than that I have another room that has about 500 bottles of red wine in two large racks. The room has a double glazed window and is insulated for constant temp and has an air conditioner for the super hot days. The wines are mostly reds and they are cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, malbec and shiraz and they range in age from 2001 to the the current vintage.
    Out on the deck under the roofline and shaded by the house, I have a very large stainless steel wine fridge with three glass doors that has 120 bottles of white wine and these are champagne, proseco, chardonnay, riesling, sauvignon blanc, semillon, pinot grigio and a few late picked desert wines. The wine fridge also has some stubbies of beer and these are Victoria Bitter, Asahi and Heineken although sometimes I have some Peroni for a change. I also have another 10 dozen bottles of white still in boxes in the wine room.
    I also have a comprehensive workshop up the yard but I rarely go up there these days due to my health problems but my son regularly uses the equipment for repairing things and he has built a few projects there like a guitar rack, a subwoofer for his hi fi setup and he welded up a steel framed mezzanine floor for his garage so he could store Jaguar car parts and panels and a spare motor, gearbox and diff above the Jaguar. He has an old classic Jaguar and parts are hard to get so often he has to buy a wreck and strip it for parts and then safely store the parts until needed. Until I got sick making old cars go fast was my hobby and how a dad and his son spent time together with a common interest. My son still plays with cars but he also collects records now and his wife is getting into red wine. We are slowly going full circle. :)

LauraR, Fred_G and SCT Guy like this.
  3. SCT Guy

SCT Guy Sergeant

Good topic.

I collect horror movies that peaked in the top ten of the box office reports of North America. So I basically own nearly every movie from 1922 to now, essentially. Minus lost films or ones not on home media.

Before the first quarter of the 1980s, there was no weekend box office to speak of. The charts were published on a Wednesday.

In some decades like the 1950s, films couldn't be included in the box office survey charts if they were only shown in a few cities, even if they actually grossed more than some other movies that week. This is just a rule that was implemented at the time. But the mythology I prefer to use is how Variety compiled their 'top 50 grossing films' chart that began in 1969. So if a film made enough cash to reach the top ten, I don't care about their policy on how many screenings it received. It's the official hit, in my opinion.

However, those older charts were really just a sample of the overall amount. Like a third of it, I think. Because some number-one hits only made several thousands of dollars. Whereas now, it can be between 3 million or more, most of the time.

4. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

My brother gave me an acoustic guitar and a chart of finger holds. I haven't had a chance to really get started with it, but I'm excited to learn. Going to youtube the heck out of it until I can play a whole song or two.

I also bought myself some art supplies so I can re-practice hand drawn art, but it may be tricky since my last job wrecked my dominant arm.

SCT Guy and Fred_G like this.
  5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I will be by shortly to help with that. :D

I work long shifts, on my off time I like shooting steel targets.

joffa likes this.
  6. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Birds.

Of course, I'm not a kid anymore.

That said, the hobby helps keep me fit.

I also have a guitar. Zero talent, though.

SCT Guy likes this.
  7. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Come on over and stay in the guest room.....the reds date from current vintage back to 1999 and are mostly cabernet sauvignon or shiraz although there are a few other varietals.....I also have a 15 litre oak cask filled with very old liqueur muscat dating back to 1989 :) :cool:
    Here is a cheap airfare to Sydney, Australia and then you need to come to down to Victoria :cool:
    https://www.cheapflights.com/flights-to-australia/louisiana/

Gensuknives and Fred_G like this.
  8. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

I couldn't collect or make wine/spirits for fun, because my liver would hate me. :D

Self control is for other people...

SCT Guy likes this.
  9. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

@joffa I want to come to your house on holiday!!! Wine, music, theatre.... that sounds amazing.

10. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I play a lot of golf...competitively (on the local club amateur level...nothing impressive) and for fun. I would say my most favorite hobbies are gardening and photography. I love to dig in my yard...anything from perennials to small trees. I love seeing the immediate results. As far as the photography, I was much more active a few years back, but am trying to get back in to it. I just did a session last Saturday at a local place that was awesome.

Gensuknives and Fred_G like this.
  11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Wow, that is not a bad price for the flight.

12. SCT Guy

SCT Guy Sergeant

I play horror games and collect horror DVDs, etc. I've also appeared in some horror films, like this short film named Night Closes. I really like the genre. But other genres are fine.

13. Bob D

Bob D Private E-2

My favorite (only) hobby now is "NAP TIME"... Actually I'm getting REAL GOOD at it

Fred_G and Wenchie like this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds