Can't Access Reddit /popular/

Discussion in 'Software' started by bleepbloop, Apr 20, 2024.

1. bleepbloop

bleepbloop Private E-2

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask, but something happened recently where I can't access reddit /popular/. It either shows up as a blank page or shows an image saying 'yeah you should look at posts on /popular/', but when you click on it it just reloads to the same image. A couple times when I had trouble with basic formatting I was able to search google on how to access old reddit and used this link- https://new.reddit.com/r/help/comments/17g8lar/how_to_revert_to_old_reddit_layout_20182023/, but now it just takes me to where I can see my homepage but not /pop/. I've tried deleting cookies, history, files, etc. with CrapCleaner and searching on Google but most of the posts are about mobile apps and I'm on a Windows desktop. I've seen some threads where people suggest using Command Prompt and stuff but I'm kind of wary that I'll delete some important file or something. The thing is, using the same account I can view reddit normally on the computer downstairs, it's just the one I'm using now that has the problem so IDK. Any help would be appreciated, thanks much.

Attached Files:

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Do you have extensions of any sort? If so, I'd try disabling them all and see if that fixes it. If it does fix it, one of them is probably breaking reddit

3. bleepbloop

bleepbloop Private E-2

Yes, for sure. I've got adblock, ublock, a dark reader or two plus some greasemonkey or something I read about while searching for a fix. I just didn't know if I would just be better uninstalling and reinstalling firefox as a whole or trying to uninstall all apps from firefox (or even how to do that) or what. I just got knocked out by a bad Windows update that I had to pay $$$ to get my computer to be able to reboot again that I was wary was wiping out my passwords etc that I'm not sure where to start over. Thanks a bunch for the reply, I'll start searching how to do that, thanks.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You don't need to uninstall Firefox to test if an addon is causing the issue.
    Open FF and click on Help. In the menu click on Troubleshoot Mode.
    This loads FF with all addons disabled. Then you go to the site and see if it works. If it doesn't, it is not an addon problem. If it works then you can start enabling one addon at a time until you find the culprit. (This takes time if you have a lot of addons.)

5. bleepbloop

bleepbloop Private E-2

I did that and it worked for a second then I closed out firefox and maybe did a shut down so it would keep now it won't work again now. Even my spiteful nondark are allowed, :|

Attached Files:

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

So when you ran FF in troubleshoot mode, it worked? That means it's an extension. Exiting out of FF and Troubleshoot mode and restarting FF again puts you back to what you were running when it was broken. I would go into your extensions and manually disable them all. Then check to see if it's back to working. If it is, you can restart each extension one at a time to figure out which one is causing the issue.

7. plodr

Yes, every time you close FF out of Troubleshoot mode, it then launches in normal mode with everything enabled again.

To figure out which extension is the problem, disable all but 2 addons. If it works, enable 2 more addons. Write down what you've enabled. Once you get to a point where it doesn't work, then one of the 2 you've enabled is the problem. This is a bit faster than just enabling one at a time.

8. bleepbloop

bleepbloop Private E-2

Hmm, thanks for the replies. I tried turning off everything manually (only have 3-4 extensions, ublock, adblock, darkmode and something called greasemonkey to do scripts but I'm too noob to even know how to use it), but it still wouldn't work. Did troubleshoot and it's not working. I think what it is is using new.reddit.com to go back to the list mode where you see 20+ threads instead of only seeing 3-4 huge expanded posts at a time b/c I also tried using edge which I have never used and don't even know if it has extensions and it still doesn't work if I do new.reddit. Any way of seeing the old layout? Most searches I'm finding are about using apps on a phone but like I say I'm on desktop. Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it bigly.

9. plodr

Sorry, I don't go to the reddit site so I can't offer any help beyond troubleshooting Firefox. I also am running Windows 7 so I never installed Edge.

So if FF didn't work in troubleshoot mode, it isn't an extension that is causing the problem.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds