MajorGeeks Support Forums

MajorGeeks Support Forums (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Hardware (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Peer to peer XP home one clent is slow (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=45323)

craigharrison 10-20-04 10:01

Peer to peer XP home one clent is slow

I set up a 4 pc's same model and specifications. 3 are working pc's and the other a dedicated one. I have one pc that is slow. I changed cat5 cables, changed location on the router, I reinstalled it on the network and reinstalled the nic driver but nothing improved. It shows that the nic is running fine. Does anyone have anyother suggestions?

craigharrison 10-20-04 10:53

Re: Peer to peer XP home one clent is slow

I forgot one thing, I also uninstalled QOS as well with the same poor results

{wizard} 10-20-04 14:36

what is the definition of *slow*?????

slow when "accessing" network drive?
slow when transfering files?
slow when pinging?
or just painstakingly slow?

just need more info for this one... ;)

craigharrison 10-20-04 16:47

It is slow accessing the network drive. The definintion I'm applying is the other two computers are accessing the same program within 5 seconds and the slow one is accessing in a minute or more. Thanks for the help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by {wizard}
what is the definition of *slow*?????

slow when "accessing" network drive?
slow when transfering files?
slow when pinging?
or just painstakingly slow?

just need more info for this one... ;)

{wizard} 10-21-04 11:27

what OS you running?

any software installed on one pc that is not installed on another?

when transferring data are they at the same speed??

use EVEREST and post system details if possible...would help alot

craigharrison 10-22-04 12:08

Ok, I had to go to the client's site to get this information. There is identical software loaded in all of the machines, except for the dedicated one. With three identical model workstations where two are accessing the application quickly and the other taking 10 times longer, it's become a little frustrating. I appreciate any ideas.

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A, 2400 MHz (24x100)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GL
System Memory 512 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (08/27/02)
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82845G/GL Graphics Controller (64 MB)
3D Accelerator Intel Extreme Graphics
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor[NoDB](1356643)
Audio Adapter Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (192.168.2.79)
BIOS Properties:
Vendor Award Software, Inc.
Version 3.02

{wizard} 10-22-04 12:31

is the lan integrated on the mobo???

if so...check the mac addresses....maybe you could have 2 identical mac address...

i had this problem before with asus board using the SIS chipset and 3 of my boards...( bought at exactly the same time) had exactly the same mac...thus causing the switch to freak a littke bit.

{wizard} 10-22-04 12:32

also check for spyware, viruses, worms.....they can cause real harm sometimes....

44039 10-22-04 16:53

Also, check event logs and see if there's anything in there. Make sure you check under both APP and SYSTEM. Check the services on all machines and make sure same serivces are running on all.

Are PC's static, or DHCP?
What are you using for name resolution? DNS, WINS, HOST files?

Also, check and make sure your subnet mask and default gateway is the same on all.

Check ping times from each system, going to the app server, and to each other. Are they all the same? Also might not hurt to do a tracert from each, to see how they are hopping.

Scott
http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

44039 10-22-04 16:54

Are these PC's "fresh" builds?

Scott

craigharrison 10-27-04 09:00

Thanks guys. I still have the problem. These are not fresh builds but refurbished machines. I know what your thinking but I walked right into this one, lol. There are no spys, bots, worm of any sort. I will check the events and see what's there. I don't think I mentioned this but he is using a linksys cable/router if that's helpful. It's running on a DHCP. Subnet and mask are the same and running on Host. Thanks again for your input. It means a lot.

cat5e 10-27-04 09:52

You probably need to use an elimination process.

Connect this computer with cross over cable directly to an other computer and try. If it is still slow it is the computer otherwise it is another Network’s component.

If it is the computer try to install another PCI NIC, and make sure that the TCP/IP stack is optimized.

BTW. Quirky CAT5 might cause such a problem too.

:cool:

44039 10-29-04 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigharrison
It is slow accessing the network drive. The definintion I'm applying is the other two computers are accessing the same program within 5 seconds and the slow one is accessing in a minute or more. Thanks for the help.

Does the affected PC have any drive mappings? If so, how many? Make sure all of the drive mappings are valid. If the PC is trying to map to a share that is no longer valid or doesn't exist, you can expect to see delays like this. Delete any that are no longer valid.
Even if all of the drive mappings are valid, try removing them all, then access the app. Just make a note of the mappings so that you can re-add them (you can dump them to a text file with the "net use > c:\drivemap.txt" at the command prompt).
From the info that you have provided, I have a hunch that it's a name resolution or mapping problem.

Scott