Cannot enter IP address directly into browser

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by longbowrocks, Jan 8, 2010.

1. longbowrocks

longbowrocks Private E-2

Heya all,
    I've been trying to use my host file to do things like making www.apple.com redirect to the Microsoft support forums, and other such silliness.
    The problem is, many sites don't work. By this I mean that I can ping the site, but when I enter the resulting address into my browser (IE, Firefox, or Chrome) I receive the following error: "The URL you have requested does not have a web site associated with it". This happens with all three of the above browsers when I try to enter the IP addresses for lauriemcguinness.com or
    www.apple.com. The IPs for google.com and xkcd.com work fine. Also, microsoft timed out on the ping, but I discovered that's apparently just 'cause they block pings.
    You may want to see the actual error, so I attached a pic.

I am using Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 service pack 3

Attached Files:

2. longbowrocks

longbowrocks Private E-2

Now I'm back at school, and it apple.com works, but lauriemcguinness still doesn't. Also, after I did a pathping on www.apple.com, all pings to "www.apple.com" redirect to its host. pings on "apple.com" still work though...

3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Are you flushing dns after you edit host file?

4. longbowrocks

longbowrocks Private E-2

yeah, I tried flushing it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds