MajorGeeks Support Forums

Go Back   MajorGeeks Support Forums > ----------= Welcome =---------- > The Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Casino Mark Forums Read

The Lounge Hang out and have some fun with your fellow Majorgeeks!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-12, 09:10
dyamond's Avatar
dyamond dyamond is offline
Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a shoe box
Posts: 2,882
Thanks: 208
Thanked 295 Times in 229 Posts
Default venting..ahhhh!

I am so annoyed right now. I was talking with some of my coworkers about our phone system and 911 (and then my moron coworker decided to call 911 “just to see what would happen” even though I told him not to..argh). So I try saying something 4 separate times, and EACH time I get cut-off by someone. SO rude, so I tell them its rude and do you know what one of them told me???? Grow up.. yes. me. told ME to grow up because I expect people to treat other people with common courtesy??? I was also told to "enter the real world" WTH?? and then my other idiot coworker was laughing the whole time like a stinkin 4 year old.

That is how you have a civilized conversation, you talk, then I talk, then you talk. Then of course since the idiot dialed 911 the police show up and he says he got a hang up call and I said yea, my coworker was playing with the phone. My boss tried to cover for him but I was like nope, he was just messing around.

Seriously WTH is wrong with people?? What happened to common courtesy? I’m ready to burst…AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
__________________
No matter how dark the moment, love & hope are always possible.~George Chakiris
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 04-26-12, 09:47
BoredOutOfMyMind's Avatar
BoredOutOfMyMind BoredOutOfMyMind is offline
Picabo, ICU
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: 36.071835,-119.035191
Posts: 3,021
Thanks: 1,004
Thanked 211 Times in 192 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Do you read Dilbert daily?

Seems to fit.

Careful as the economy is quite bad, and seeking another job is a drag. (been there, did not enjoy that.)
__________________
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not"
- The Lorax, Dr. Suess
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BoredOutOfMyMind For This Useful Post:
dyamond (04-27-12)
  #3  
Old 04-26-12, 10:27
dyamond's Avatar
dyamond dyamond is offline
Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a shoe box
Posts: 2,882
Thanks: 208
Thanked 295 Times in 229 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Nah, I'm not looking for another job. I actually kind of enjoy mine and my coworkers aren't usually idiots, so I guess that's why I am so surprised by their lack of common courtesy/sense.
__________________
No matter how dark the moment, love & hope are always possible.~George Chakiris
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-26-12, 10:42
handygal handygal is offline
Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Beachy and warm
Posts: 808
Thanks: 83
Thanked 103 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

I generally prefer to work with the guys but there is that 4 year old boy side that comes out too often. Sounds like they've been watching too much reality tv and are testing out the obnoxious come backs that I haven't heard in a decade!
__________________
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough -Mario Andretti
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-26-12, 10:50
BILLMCC66's Avatar
BILLMCC66 BILLMCC66 is offline
Bionic Belgian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BRUGGE BELGIUM
Posts: 5,410
Thanks: 351
Thanked 641 Times in 538 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Dy you have hit on one of my pet hates and not wanting to turn this into a HBT i will restrain my comments.
I would seem you have in the USA the same disease that is rampant in Europe.
The younger members of society have not learned how to say please or thank-you they have no respect for authority and feel that no one should ever question their attitude.
On the roads many drivers will run into the car ahead rather than leave a gap for you to join the traffic and a lot of them drive BMWs (we have a lot here)
I suppose we could lay the blame on my generation (i'm 65) because we did not discipline the kids when they were young.
When i was a kid about 13 or 14 the local police sergeant caught me smoking and instead of taking me home to my father he gave me a slap at the back of my head, but if that were to happen today he would be brought up on an assault charge.
How times have changed
__________________
You can’t teach a new mouse old clicks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6  
Old 04-26-12, 15:39
Phantom's Avatar
Phantom Phantom is offline
Brigadier Britches
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Jungle
Posts: 5,483
Thanks: 289
Thanked 445 Times in 376 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

"He/she who has no respect will never be respected" is a proverb that holds true in many cases.
~ I get that all the time. My voice is fairly soft and doesn't sound very authoritative. So people think that it is their big cue to just talk all over me. That's when I give 'em the "silent treatment" until they ask, "why have you stopped talking?" I say, "I've stopped talking because you've stopped listening. Therefore, there is no point." Then I usually get accused of being pedantic or some B.S. Is it pedantic or naive just to expect some 'common' courtesy?
Well, I hope that the fool who rang 911 to see what would happen got his butt fined for it. That's what happens in these parts.
__________________
“The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.”
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-26-12, 17:46
mjnc mjnc is offline
Major Geek
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East coast, USA
Posts: 1,807
Thanks: 251
Thanked 473 Times in 409 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
That's when I give 'em the "silent treatment" until they ask, "why have you stopped talking?" I say, "I've stopped talking because you've stopped listening. Therefore, there is no point." Then I usually get accused of being pedantic or some B.S. Is it pedantic or naive just to expect some 'common' courtesy?
What a joke - calling you pedantic
They obviously don't know what it means, so Their Knowledge is quite lacking.
Quote:
Pedantic:
ostentatious in one's learning.
The guy who called 911 as a prank is a jerk.
That's Not a Toy !!!
Someone who really Needed help may not have gotten that as soon as possible.

Many people don't realize that police will respond to every call, even if the caller hangs up.
It Could be serious.
__________________
Experience is what you get right after you needed it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-26-12, 17:58
Caliban's Avatar
Caliban Caliban is offline
I don't need no steenkin' title!
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Sunny South
Posts: 5,330
Thanks: 529
Thanked 1,160 Times in 1,046 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Francis Bacon wrote: “If a man be gracious and courteous to strangers, it shows he is a citizen of the world, and that his heart is no island cut off from other lands, but a continent that joins to them.”

I agree.
__________________
Constantly Sharpening Occam's Razor™
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-26-12, 19:25
gman863's Avatar
gman863 gman863 is offline
Major Geek
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,385
Thanks: 178
Thanked 494 Times in 442 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Although I'd never actually do it, my fantasy response to stupidity like this would be to go off on them with a slightly cleaned up version of Samuel L. Jackson's famous line in Pulp Fiction:

"What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' geeks, who'll go to work on the idiot here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin'? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your a**."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-26-12, 22:54
Phantom's Avatar
Phantom Phantom is offline
Brigadier Britches
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Jungle
Posts: 5,483
Thanks: 289
Thanked 445 Times in 376 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnc View Post
What a joke - calling you pedantic
They obviously don't know what it means, so Their Knowledge is quite lacking.
I think that they might have been trying to accuse me of being 'tiresome with details', as in the definition below. - Either way, it didn't make a lick of sense to me.

Quote:
2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, especially in teaching.
Is it being a P.I.T.A. to simply explain something? If I don't - I'm "strange and enigmatic". Well, guess it goes back to not bothering in the first place if that's the attitude.
__________________
“The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.”
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #11  
Old 04-27-12, 07:59
Nedlamar's Avatar
Nedlamar Nedlamar is offline
Major Geek
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: I'm not sure, but it's damp
Posts: 2,570
Thanks: 260
Thanked 289 Times in 245 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLMCC66 View Post
The younger members of society have not learned how to say please or thank-you they have no respect for authority and feel that no one should ever question their attitude.
With you there Bill, you know what it is though? I figured it out last week at a gas station. It's laziness.
When I moved from the UK to Canada, one of the first things I realised was the lack of Please and Thank you's. Having been raised to "Mind my P's and Q's" and when given something you say "Thank you" and when asking you say "Please" or there would be a swift clip round the head for not saying it, rightly so.

So in this gas station, I pump and go in to pay, the lad (approx 22-24) behind the counter greeted me, I said: "Pump 3 and can I get a pack of smokes...( a pause as I look for money, then raised my head and exclaimed) ... Please, I should say"
You know, in that manner where you realise you didn't say please so you add it to the end and softly scorn yourself.
The reply was "This is Canada, please and thank you are implied"
While I understand this was an attempt to let me know no offense had been taken, it irked me, to which I replied "It's never implied, that's why we have words for it and where I come from it's simply called being polite"
He then said "I never thought you Australians were that concerned with it"
Obviously now annoyed I said "Well I don't know about Australian since I'm English and in my opinion it will never be implied otherwise no one will ever say it"

It's 1 or 2 words in a sentence, implied?... really?... you're THAT lazy that you can't add a couple of words to a sentence?

As for not letting you talk, well that annoys me as well, my boss does that and will actually state "Wait, let me speak, just listen" which annoys the hell out of me, but I'm one of those people who will either just get louder or say "Excuse me, I wasn't finished" or if I'm annoyed it will come out more like "Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I had finished speaking, but go ahead, I will continue after your exciting statement"

You know what else annoys me? When you are talking to someone and then someone else comes over and starts talking and the person you were alking to instantly starts listening to the interupter. This will prompt me to tap/poke the person on the shoulder with raised eyebrows and say "I'm still talking here" or I just walk away saying "Oh that's OK, I was finished anyway"

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Politeness and Chivalry.

Holding a door open for someone is a simple gesture that takes little time and effort.
Men should always offer "Ladies first" even if you are carrying something heavy.
Please and Thank you should be applied to any and all situations that require it.

I don't know whats wrong with society today, it might be a lack of discipline of the young that is rubbing off on older people or it might just be the way of the changing world. Whatever the reason, while there is still air in my lungs I will always be polite, why?.... no, wrong question.... Why not?
__________________
I'm as clever as a stick in a bucket of pig swill.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nedlamar For This Useful Post:
Spock96 (04-30-12)
  #12  
Old 04-27-12, 09:41
BILLMCC66's Avatar
BILLMCC66 BILLMCC66 is offline
Bionic Belgian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: BRUGGE BELGIUM
Posts: 5,410
Thanks: 351
Thanked 641 Times in 538 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

It costs nothing to be polite and indicates good character.
One of the things that happens here in Belgium is that when you meet someone for the first time in the morning you will always shake hands and when parting for the last time in the evening also,with female friends it is the kiss on the cheek in place of the hand.
__________________
You can’t teach a new mouse old clicks
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-27-12, 09:50
dyamond's Avatar
dyamond dyamond is offline
Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In a shoe box
Posts: 2,882
Thanks: 208
Thanked 295 Times in 229 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLMCC66 View Post
Dy you have hit on one of my pet hates and not wanting to turn this into a HBT i will restrain my comments.
I would seem you have in the USA the same disease that is rampant in Europe.
The younger members of society have not learned how to say please or thank-you they have no respect for authority and feel that no one should ever question their attitude.
On the roads many drivers will run into the car ahead rather than leave a gap for you to join the traffic and a lot of them drive BMWs (we have a lot here)
I suppose we could lay the blame on my generation (i'm 65) because we did not discipline the kids when they were young.
When i was a kid about 13 or 14 the local police sergeant caught me smoking and instead of taking me home to my father he gave me a slap at the back of my head, but if that were to happen today he would be brought up on an assault charge.
How times have changed
I agree with you Bill but the sad thing is all my coworkers are older than me, some almost twice my age. I think it's just a manners thing, if you don't have manners when you are young, chances of you picking them up as you get older are slim to none.

@ Ned, I agree with everything you said. Once I got on a crowded bus and this younger gentleman, got up and offered me his seat. I was completely shocked as this hardly ever happens. Usually, its all the men stay seated (and sometimes glare at you) while all women & the elderly are standing. It's shameful. Once this guy actually made a blind woman GO AROUND HIM because he refused to move out of her way. Disgusting to say the least.
__________________
No matter how dark the moment, love & hope are always possible.~George Chakiris
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-27-12, 11:44
handygal handygal is offline
Sergeant Major
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Beachy and warm
Posts: 808
Thanks: 83
Thanked 103 Times in 101 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLMCC66 View Post
It costs nothing to be polite and indicates good character.
One of the things that happens here in Belgium is that when you meet someone for the first time in the morning you will always shake hands and when parting for the last time in the evening also,with female friends it is the kiss on the cheek in place of the hand.
AND look them in the eye, another problem I see a lot.

Where my family lives in Europe, this is one thing that I see even the younger generations still do. Girls end up kissing most everyone on the cheek hello and goodbye though except upon being introduced.
__________________
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough -Mario Andretti
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-27-12, 13:49
Rikky's Avatar
Rikky Rikky is offline
Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thin line between the ideological and the pragmatic
Posts: 10,137
Thanks: 568
Thanked 730 Times in 630 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyamond View Post
I am so annoyed right now. I was talking with some of my coworkers about our phone system and 911 (and then my moron coworker decided to call 911 “just to see what would happen” even though I told him not to..argh). So I try saying something 4 separate times, and EACH time I get cut-off by someone. SO rude, so I tell them its rude and do you know what one of them told me???? Grow up.. yes. me. told ME to grow up because I expect people to treat other people with common courtesy??? I was also told to "enter the real world" WTH?? and then my other idiot coworker was laughing the whole time like a stinkin 4 year old.

That is how you have a civilized conversation, you talk, then I talk, then you talk. Then of course since the idiot dialed 911 the police show up and he says he got a hang up call and I said yea, my coworker was playing with the phone. My boss tried to cover for him but I was like nope, he was just messing around.

Seriously WTH is wrong with people?? What happened to common courtesy? I’m ready to burst…AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I HATE IT I HATE I HATE IT IT! Being interrupted that is,especially multiple time while your tryna explain something that's hard to explain.

I totally agree its soooo simple,one person talks then when they've finished you talk,when two people talk almost at the same time the person that speaks first has priority to talk or allow you to go first.

Then on top of that if you don't stop talking after you've been interrupted they get LOUDER and try to talk over you, WTF??????

I wish there were mute button to mute people who do this I feel your pain Dy
__________________
"No one panics when things go according to plan, even when the plan is horrifying." The Joker
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #16  
Old 04-27-12, 15:32
hrlow2's Avatar
hrlow2 hrlow2 is offline
Major Geek
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: hills of West Virginia
Posts: 5,210
Thanks: 200
Thanked 548 Times in 522 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Here, there is a mute button.
Better known by its common name.
Fist.
__________________
Continuing to learn (hopefully enough)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-29-12, 02:36
Spad's Avatar
Spad Spad is online now
Major Geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: As far from reality as I can get
Posts: 1,376
Thanks: 124
Thanked 197 Times in 174 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyamond View Post
. . . Seriously WTH is wrong with people?? What happened to common courtesy? I’m ready to burst…AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I can relate, lady . . . seems courtesy is becoming a dying art. I agree with those here that say it is largely the fault of the parents - children learn by observing their parents, after all. If parents don't respect people, why should they?

Also the unwarranted sense of entitlement so many young people have doesn't help matters, in my opinion. This idea that the world owes them something tinges their interaction with that world, and not for the good.
__________________
"verba volant, scripta manent" -- Caio Titus
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-29-12, 11:33
sibeer's Avatar
sibeer sibeer is offline
Major Geek
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: BC. Canada
Posts: 1,654
Thanks: 85
Thanked 86 Times in 78 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedlamar View Post
The reply was "This is Canada, please and thank you are implied"
He's wrong of course, however as far as "please" goes, I'm ok with the lack of it in certain situations. At work I don't feel the need to use please when asking co-workers for a hand as I don't expect them to say it, providing requests are non-demanding (like you asking for smokes). But "thanks" are offered EVERYTIME after help is received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyamond View Post
@ Ned, I agree with everything you said. Once I got on a crowded bus and this younger gentleman, got up and offered me his seat. I was completely shocked as this hardly ever happens. Usually, its all the men stay seated (and sometimes glare at you) while all women & the elderly are standing. It's shameful.
I guess I'm "new school" on this. If I have a seat I'm keeping it unless anyone comes along that needs it more than me, which includes disability, holding kids or bags etc,or someone much older. I won't give it up just because the person standind is a woman
__________________
I'm not following...I'm herding.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-29-12, 16:18
Fred_G's Avatar
Fred_G Fred_G is offline
Heat packin' geek
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 8,245
Thanks: 234
Thanked 656 Times in 577 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrlow2 View Post
Here, there is a mute button.
Better known by its common name.
Fist.
Unfortunately the mute button might get you locked up. I also have noticed a lack of respect and manners, especially with younger folks. Several times I held the door open for a lady, and they were a bit surprised, almost looked like they did not know what to do. Sad.
__________________
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-29-12, 16:46
hrlow2's Avatar
hrlow2 hrlow2 is offline
Major Geek
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: hills of West Virginia
Posts: 5,210
Thanks: 200
Thanked 548 Times in 522 Posts
Default Re: venting..ahhhh!

Held the door open for one once myself.
Also got a funny look AND a comment.
"What? You think I can't open doors myself ?"
So I calmly closed the door and let her get it herself. After she had to set her bags down to handle it.
__________________
Continuing to learn (hopefully enough)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venting bobothebionicmonkey The Lounge 1 02-03-07 14:49
32?64?ahhhh!!!! ST47 Hardware 7 06-09-06 17:58
Just Venting.. Kodo The Lounge 20 06-29-05 15:53
AHHHH help please EricBarn Malware Removal 0 03-20-05 15:41
Ahhhh my eyes BluesMan The Lounge 8 02-01-05 07:55


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

MajorGeeks.Com \ All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ NEW! PC Games \ System Tools \ Macintosh \ Demonews.Com \ Top Downloads

MajorGeeks.Com \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright © 2009 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Ad Management by RedTyger