System slow-possibly corrupted drivers or operating system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RK233, Feb 7, 2007.

1. RK233

RK233 Private E-2

I just had a new hard drive installed on my computer by professionals due to hard drive failure and after re-installing my software from CD/DVD backups seem to be having similar problems as in the past. I may have some software/hardware conflicts.

The Help and Support seems to be loading VERY slow. I had problems with this previously. (see earlier threads and attachments). The was not happening after my initial re-installation so some of my software or other changes made are causing this.

I have a Windows XP Pro DELL computer from June 2004. I brought my computer to professionals and a diagnostics indicated a "failing" hard drive (Maxtor). I had a new 120 GB drive installed by them and had them re-install Windows XP.

I re-installed Norton Internet Security 2006 with ONLY their firewall running.(LiveUpdate was run too) I did not install Zone Alarm free due to compatiblity problems. I did install Windows Defender but was told not to run it with Norton due to possible compatiblity problems. After using Microsoft Update to get Service Packs and other updates I re-installed most of my programs from CD's DVD's..

I had other problems when trying to reinstall Microsoft Office '97. My Outlook Express was replaced with Microsoft Outlook. (I should have done a custum install)

I do remember that about this time I also turned off some services that I did not seem to need in MSCONFIG. I have since turned those services back on and re-installed MS Office '97 and it seemed to rectify things.

I have run CHKDSK , used the Norton Systemworks 2006 Disk Doctor utility (run from the CD), and I have tried using the sfc /scannow command.

I do not know if by using the sfc /scannow command I am causing any problems. I do have an older DELL Windows XP Pro install disk with service pack 1a on it only. I ran scannow and I was prompted for my Windows XP Pro disk.-this is after re-installing new Service Pack Updates etc..I did use Microsoft Update to upload the recent Service Packs etc. but this command may not be okay to use in this scenario. Please evaluate.

System restore was turned ON/OFF/ON about now.

I followed the below steps.
    I turned off the Window Defender Service only.
    I ran Norton Antivirus.-->Clean

I rebooted in SAFE mode.

I ran CWS Shredder and it found CWS.MSCONFIG. I had this fixed. I read later on some sites that this may or may not have been a false positive.

I ran Stinger-Phill( v.11/06) and Stinger v. 2.6.0 from 3/05/06 ----->Clean

I ran Spybot and it found a few firefox cookies...DoubleClick and Avenue A. These were deleted.

I checked my system restore points here and turned it OFF.

I rebooted in SAFE + NETWORK MODE and ran the Trend micro online scans for both Spyware and Housecall----->Nothing found

I re-ran CWS Shredder-----> Nothing found this time

I searched and deleted all *.TEMP and *.tmp files.I deleted Internet cache in IE Explorer 7. I also cleaned system with CCleaner and the Disk Cleaner that comes with Windows.

Adaware was run also but only 1-2 cookies were found and deleted..

I configured my computer MSCONFIG to save the boot file which I saved and I am attaching.

I ran the Newfiles, GetRunKeys, and HiJackThis programs. I am attaching these Newfiles, HJK, and the bootlog which I had saved..

My Help and Support still LOADS slow (but works). Please evaluate my situation. I do not know whether the problem is due to malware, software, hardware, or some combination. If this should be posted on another forum please let me know where.

See attachments posted on thread in Malware-"Corrupted Computer"

Thank you for your assistance.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds