Not sure if this is a "Hardware" or "Software" question?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grc123, Mar 30, 2012.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hello,

I am attempting to set-up/configure OpenDNS, and when I try to get into my wireless router (to set preferences), and type 192.168.1.1., I get this screenshot, attached.

Would this mean I still have Comodo SecureDNS, please?

Thanks in advance,
    g...

Attached Files:

2. C1B3R5NYP3R

C1B3R5NYP3R Private First Class

How exactly are you typing that in? Are you putting anything before or after 192.168.1.1? What type of router do you have? What OS are you using?

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Well, I tried copy/pasting it exactly as you have ("192.168.1.1"), and also with the "http://" prefix.

The Router is a Linksys WRT160Nv3 - - using WIN7 . . .

4. C1B3R5NYP3R

C1B3R5NYP3R Private First Class

Normally you would just put the #'s and decimals and thats it [192.168.1.1]. How are you connected to the router? Have you tried using a different browser? Try IE and see if you get a login screen come up.

5. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

You sure it aint 192.168.0.1 ?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

IE avails me nothing more (screenshot attached).

Yes...I've tried it (screenshot) and I have tried a variety of other numbers after the "192.168."

Attached Files:

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

9. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

From the image of IE, it looks like to can access your router at 192.168.1.1. Are you able to log in with username and password? For linksys the username is left blank and the default password is admin which you should have changed when setting it up. You should also change the SSID default from linksys if you have never done so.

10. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Getting same sort of result(s) ... the router refuses to accept the Username and/or Password (and I know very well they are correct as I had them written down, and have also pulled them both up (can access them) in Windows Network & Sharing Center).

"Authentication Required", from the router, and when I proceed I get a "401" (UN-Authorized) error message.

I have no clue what to do here. I don't know if I have OpenDNS or Comodo SecureDNS (or both - or neither??), so I don't know what to focus on..?

The screenshot is a Linksys FIRMware (?) update (which I have no clue if I need or not) that "Saves" to my system, but then my system doesn't recognize it enough to open it...?

Belkin used to help me over the phone with my Belkin Router..am I correct in assuming that it's time to try Cisco-Linksys phone support?

11. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Wow, thank you tgell (sorry didn't see your reply before my last post).

This has been (is) my daughters router rolleyes ...that said, I will try the blank Username (which strikes me as extremely odd?), and yes, the password seems to have been "randomly generated" (somehow? Perhaps it was my LastPass Password Mgr?).

Not sure how to change the "SSID", or even what it is (at the moment) exactly?

*EDIT* And then upon a quick search, I stumble on this (to the contrary??) ---> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2865...hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  12. tgell

I actually meant that you should just change the SSID, not hide it. If a hacker knows the SSID is a default like linksys, he can easily identify the network as having a linksys router, its default IP and password. Unfortunately many people do not bother changing the password. It's only a small step towards security. Using WPA2 and a strong PSK along with a good password for accessing the router is the most important. WEP is no longer an option as that can be broken in minutes.

If you cannot access the router, you could reset it and the router would default back to the blank user name and default password.

13. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks...yes, I am utilizing WPA2...not sure of the difference between "PSK" and "Password" (thought they were one and the same?).

I must be getting old...old and older still yet. I used to want "SECURITY" at any/all cost. Now it almost seems to be getting "in the way" of everything...a bit absurd...seemingly no end to it all..no end in sight, anyway...

Probably "growing pains" on my part, as I've been moving every year or two, and simply tired of the all the changes/configs/RE-configs/etc., etc., etc....

I may well have to just do the whole "Reset" thing, all, over, again.

Thanks as always!

14. tgell

It is good you are using WPA2. By PSK, I only meant the Pre-Shared Key that you input for WPA2. Personally, I set my key up using grc's key generation using 63 printable ASCII characters hashed down to 256 binary bits. I copy this to a text file and then when needed, just copy and past.

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

15. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Very interesting, very interesting indeed (not that I understand much of it, however, still, I find it fascinating...!).

I've had an GREAT appreciation for Gibson Research since even before I ever found this site (MG's).

I'm still very much in limbo though, it seems, struggling with this "DNS" issue.

I had originally started with it over in the Software sub-forum, but now don't know which to deal with first?

It all occurs to me as a "which came first" argument... "the chicken or the egg"...??

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds