LAN unable to connect on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slushie, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Slushie

Slushie Private E-2

I have windows vista on my laptop but have been able to use it and connect to my home wireless network until recently. While I am still able to connect to the wireless network, it's unable to connect to the Local Area Network and claims that the network cable is unplugged.

The three desktops in my house (all xp) are working perfectly fine but I still physically checked the connection of the router and the modem and they wre fine

I also did an ipconfig which sAid that the wireless LAN adapter and Ethernet adapter local area connection were "media disconnected"

any ideas on what else to try? I haven't downloaded any updates or new software recently either so I'm not sure what's caused the problem.

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Give THIS advice a try and also open Device Manager and look for any yellow ! marks, if you have any let us know and also check for the LAN being disabled in Network adapters.

3. Slushie

Slushie Private E-2

I changed the speed to 100mbps/full duplex and I turned off the save power function but that's about all I could do. Under the "device status" it says "this device is working properly" and there are no yellow !s in the device manager. Under network connections,there's a large red x next to the local area connection icon.

4. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

Sounds like you have a possible bad nic in that laptop. Is the laptop under warranty so you could call the manufactuer? Before you do that try another ethernet cable as well to make sure you don't have a bad cable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds