HP promotion popup

Discussion in 'Software' started by mixer421, May 17, 2011.

1. mixer421

mixer421 Private E-2

I've just uninstalled my HP Photosmart 7760 printer. I've used CCleaner and manually removed all obvious HP references but at startup I'm getting a window asking me to put the HP installation disc in to install HP Promotions. I can't find any reference to it so I'm assuming it's buried in Win XP somewhere. Suggestions Please.:)

2. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

I would first go to control panel add/remove programs and see if you can find anything related to the printer or HP and remove it from there. Occasionally entries not seen in CCLeaner's uninstall section can be seen in your OS's add/remove and vice-versa .
    If you can't find anything there, you could go to computer>c:drive>program files, and root around in there . I have had to manually delete things in this manner before, when offending programs aren't showing up. If you STILL cant find the offender, you could go to RUN>SERVICES.MSC, see if you can find a service related to the printer or HP, right click it and select PROPERTIES, and the context menu will show you the location under the heading "Path to executable" - which would be where you go to manually delete the annoyance. Although I am speaking from windows 7 point of view, I'm fairly certain services.msc is pretty much the same on XP .
    I'm sure someone will speak up if I'm wrong or if someone has a better idea.

3. mixer421

mixer421 Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestions:) Unfortunately nothing found. I've removed all HP references from Program files, Documents and Settings and also from the Registry. The only other place I've found 'HP' files is in the Windows System 32 folder but I'm unwilling to meddle with them without advice.:confused

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I believe XP has a Startup folder off the Start>All Programs menu. Check that to see if there is a shortcut file in there.

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, mixer421.

If all else fails, open Regedit and navigate to the following keys:

1. HKCU > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Run

2. HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Run

Look for anything HP related.

6. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

May I also suggest the Windows Installer Removal Utility? I think Major Geeks has it available still, or you can download it for free anywhere.

7. mixer421

mixer421 Private E-2

Thanks Guys, I think we've cracked it!:) I couldn't find those registry entries - I only have HKEY's but the Windows Installer removal thing seems to have done the trick. Geeks Rule OK!:-D:major

8. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Glad to have helped and thanks for clicking the "Thank You" button.

TimW is in the process of renaming it to "Motc777 Rules" button.

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Taken under advisement!! But not likely!! :-D:-D

10. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

For future reference, HKCU and HKLM refer to HKEY CURRENT USER and HKEY LOCAL MACHINE. They're just geeky shortened versions. :major

11. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

And, everyone knows that we all love short geeks. ;)

Glad you got things sorted, mixer421.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds