trogens!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by laurieB, Apr 29, 2005.

1. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

i never really understood all the trogen, virus, spyware, issues so i downloaded zone alarm, antivir pe, spybot, spyblaster, ccleaner and clean up. (on advice from here) i dont understand how any of them work or what any of them do. i run antivir and zone alarm all the time, and "sweep trough' with the others aprox weekly. this time most needed updates. my puter then started freeezing. ive managed to get it to work, but its complaining of a trogen. as the trogen is in 'system 32' and i thought that was a neccessary file i, i dont know whether i should delete it or what. i sent it to quarenty, but it keeps reappearing. i scaned with house call but it said all was fine. what is this and what should i do. aloha from hawaii everyone, and thanks in advance. XOXOX

Attached Files:

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

3. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok.....so i have to start in 'safe mode'? i dont know how (and yes im running windows xp on a emachine c 2825) i dont know how to start in safe mode!!! i dont know how to turn off the system restore either. luv u all . :)

4. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

wait.... i remember something about system restore. its under tools or something, but i can find it. so why cant i just resore back a bit before the trogen?

5. kadavill

kadavill MajorGeek

To get into safe mode press F8 at boot time.

6. kadavill

kadavill MajorGeek

You said the trojan is in system 32 and you think it is needed by windows.
    Well,trojans do get in there very often,you should quarantine it.
    I see from the screenshot that it is a trojan downloader,better quarantine it.

So use the anti-virus to quarantine it.Safe mode is only if you cant quarantine it.

7. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

now its appearring as this. it keeps coming back :( i am gonna do the restore thing back a week.

Attached Files:

8. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

cant restore it back a week. will only go back to the first of the moth, which is today. i dont understand why i cant get it to click back to last month, but i cant. so i have to turn of system restore, and what? if i 'sweep' with all my programmes, then what? do i delete this file, and if its a system file will i be deleting something important. i think im scared by the word 'system'. aloha and happy may day

9. kadavill

kadavill MajorGeek

Cant you quarantine it,System restore is a bad idea.
    As asus said earlier system restore must be disabled before deleting the virus.
    This is probably why it came back.

10. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

System Restore has limit's on how much it can save I believe the max setting is 12% of your total drive space, windows automaticly set's restore points.

Turn off system restore, then run all your antivirus/trogen removal utilities or even online scanners, then delete all that are found.
    If you have trouble deleting any found, then try the same within safe mode & delete, you must still have system restore off.

Dont be scared about deleting any bad stuff if you loose a something important, well if it was infected ya dont want it anyway.

After cleaning up ya system then turn system restore back on.

If something bad happens someone here at MG will be glad to assist.

Another option if after you delete all your bad stuff, and by chance ya loose important system file or such, then simply do repair install which will save all programs installed & repair any missing windows files.
    After repair install you will need to update windows.

Dont be scared!
    Be Brave!
    KILL THE BAD STUFF

11. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

ok .....turned off system restore, ran all my kill it/clean it progs. diddnt find anything. so now im gonna turn system restore back on. i have quarenteened this file four tmes now, twice on the first (system 32) and twice on the second (system info/restore) explain what 'quarenteen' does please.

12. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Quarenteen just kinda lock's it away, there it is isolated from the rest of your system, should be safe there.
    You can go a step further and Delete the Quarenteened items.

13. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

well it hasnt reappeared or frozen again so all seems ok again. im not sure how to delete the quarenteen folder, so they'll have to stay there! thanks for all the help asus and for putting my mind at rest. much aloha.

14. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

What program has the Quarenteened files?
    If it's Antivir, I dont use it, so I cant tell ya how to delete it, I'll bet is possible maybe someone who uses it will post an answer for you.
    If you can view quarenteened files probably simple as right click & delete??

Either way all should be safe as long as ya keep it Quarenteened.

Aloha!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds