New pc, ran fine then suddenly slow startup.

Discussion in 'Software' started by DaPs, Apr 8, 2008.

1. DaPs

DaPs Private E-2

Hello everyone.

I built a new pc back in December, and it ran fine. Games were quick, startup before the log in screen was speedy, all good! Then suddenly it started being slow. The startup on the windows loading screen now takes about 2 minutes, and when i load call of duty 4, it takes ages, instead of the usual 10 seconds.

This happened a couple of months ago, but left it until now. It is really annoying and has wound me up enough to post about it.

I thought if i just cleaned up my pc it would get rid of the thing causing the problem. So yesterday i shredded many files, did a cleanup and maintenance, rebooted, and it was exactly the same!

What do you think the problem is? Take cod4 for example. When i used to play it, the load screen took about 10-15 seconds to get into the game, now it takes around a minute.

I appreciate all help given.

Thanks.

DaPs.

2. DaPs

DaPs Private E-2

Bump.

3. DaPs

DaPs Private E-2

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)

Computer:
    Computer Type ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    OS Service Pack SP2
    Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
    CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2400 MHz (9 x 267)
    Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R (3 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, 2 DDR3 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Bearlake P35
    System Memory 2gb RAM
    BIOS Type Award Modular (05/21/07)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 245B/245BW (Digital) [24" LCD] (HS1PA03664)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter Realtek ALC885/889A @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller

Startup Programs from Ccleaner:

ISUSPM
    MSCONFIG
    NVCPLDAEMON
    AVGNT

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

It would appear that 3 of the 4 programs you have starting with Windows are unnecessary.

ISUSPM:
    The purpose of this program is to check for the latest updates from Macrovision products.

MSCONFIG
    This is the MS Configuration utility. It is used to configure your startup routine. There is no need for it to be run every time you start your computer

NVCPLDAEMON
    This one loads the Nvidia System Tray icon used to change display settings, change the clock rate and memory speed for nVidia based graphics cards. This is unnecessary since you can easily configure these settings the way you want them in the Display Properties.

AVGNT
    This one is your Avira anti virus and should be there.

Removing these from your startup routine will allow your computer to boot faster.

5. DaPs

DaPs Private E-2

Thanks for that.

The problem is abit deeper rooted than that though i'm afraid.

My computer loads up perfectly quickly from the password screen to the desktop, it is on the windows loading screen where it is slow.

Also, when i used to run cod4 it loaded in about ten seconds, now it takes 2-3 minutes to load up the game from save points.

Why is this? There is no trace of viruses etc and it just suddenly went like this?

6. DaPs

DaPs Private E-2

The windows logo loading screen when you switch on the pc. The black screen with the windows logo.

It used to take about 5-10 seconds to move on from it, now it takes 1-2 minutes.

Also cod4 takes about 2-3 minutes to load, very annoying!

I can't pinpoint what would cause it, it is very very annoying.

7. DaPs

DaPs Private E-2

Removed them and it is exactly the same. As the guy said below, it wouldn't be them, as they haven't loaded whilst the windows black logo loading screen is on.

One more thing to add about the loading of it. It comes on, but not in full colour, then flicks to a bit more colour. It takes 6 shades to get to full colour, like 1, wait a second, then two, then three and so on. Then the loading bar starts moving. After that it then takes the 2 minutes.

8. DaPs

DaPs Private E-2

I tried that mem test and my computer stalled and i had to restart. I did it with 3 running to test different parts of the memory. I tried it again running each one with different affiliation, so that they wern't conflicting on the CPU, and it still stalled.

Not sure if this is to do with the problem, or just the program itself. I will try another bit of software.

9. DaPs

DaPs Private E-2

I'll download another test, i tried three times and it just stalled my computer.

I will post back with the results.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds