Help installing XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by Opal, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Opal

Opal Private E-2

Hi i just got Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, and tried installing it, but i came across a few problems. I have Windows 98 at the moment, and when i get to copying the files, i have errors saying 'error occurred copying file ntdll.dll C:\$win_nt$~ls\1386\system32\ntdll.dll'
    i was going to skip it and carry on, but it asked if i was sure i wanted to do that, so i wasn't, i dont know what system32 is so i dont know if it is 'valuable' to the computer. So i guess i want to know what i can do now? what i can do to get past that error message? anyone help? thanks anyway!
    Also is Windows XP compatable at all with Windows 98, it's just windows 98 not SE or ME or whatever they are?! lol

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Were you trying to run an upgrade ?

3. padams

padams First Sergeant

Are there any scratches on your xp disk, if not, do you have a 98 cd?

if so boot to that and then type in fdisk. Delete the partitions and extended partitions and anything else it has on it, then try your xp install again and see if that helped.

you can dual boot 98 and xp. if that answers your other question.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

system32 is VERY important to an XP system.
    Can you clarify on your question concerning compatibility? You want to have BOTH operating systems?

The preferred method for installing an OS is this:

1. Configure your computer to boot from CD.
    - Enter BIOS (after powering on the system, immediately press delete, F1, F2 ro whichever button the first screen specifies)
    - Look for Boot Sequence, Order, Priority (the title will depend on your BIOS)
    - Set your CD ROM drive to the top of the list.
    2. Insert your XP installation CD.
    3. Reboot your machine
    4. When prompted, press any key to boot from CD.

From there, it should be as simple as following the prompts to install XP.

5. Opal

Opal Private E-2

Yes, following the install it book, i am going from the quick upgrade. Is that right, or is that for when you already have xp. Their is also 'instructions' for New installation, but dont know which one to use.

It is a little scratched, but not alot. I think i do have the windows 98 cd yeah, i will try that anyway.

I dont really understand sorry lol, I just want XP on, i dont know much about it, dont neccersarily want xp and windows, but i do want to keep all files etc that i already have on coomputer at the moment.

6. padams

padams First Sergeant

put the cd in the drive, and then reboot your system, press a key when it asks to do so to boot to cd, then continue with your install.

sorry i guess i didn't understand what you were saying earlier, my apologies.

7. Opal

Opal Private E-2

np, i didn't even understand what i was saying lol.
    Thanks alot for all your help, i'll give them a go :)

8. Opal

Opal Private E-2

Okay, sorry to be a pain in the a$$. So i rebooted system with cd in, but it didn't do anything? didn't ask me to press a key to boot cd, if you know what i mean. Is their anyway of breaking it down for someone with a pea brain?! By the CD did you mean the XP one or the 98 one, sorry for being confusing!

9. Opal

Opal Private E-2

Still no luck, is it worth even attempting anything?, dont want to try anything when i know nothing about computers and risk losing what i already have on my computer! Should i forget it? lol

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You'll need to configure your BIOS to boot from CD as per my previous instructions. I had tried to make it simple, and step-by-step.

11. ahmed.alsayed

ahmed.alsayed Private E-2

first of all i want to know the way you used the cd to install Windows XP Home Edition
    the right way is
    boot from the cd then start to install the win by following the instructions but first you have to do one thing tha choose between formating the c: or keep win 9x and install Windows XP Home Edition in d:

Have Fun

12. Opal

Opal Private E-2

Yeah i did that exactly and it didn't work, so it must be my computer or something. I'll give it a go again, thanks again :)

13. padams

padams First Sergeant

you might consider going into fdisk and deleting all partitions extended, logical, all that jazz from your old 98 install and then trying your install over.

14. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

I think we are all getting a little too technical for Opal here. First of all, I think we need to determine whether she wants to "Upgrade" (where all of your personal data is kept and only the OS files are installed) or "Fresh Install." (clean slate - wipe everything,then install) In my opnion, fresh is the only way to go, if you have a way of backing up your data.

Next, are you sure that your PC even boots to CD? Some older ones (and if you have 98 currently, then it is older) do not. What are the stats of your system?

Do you know how to go into the BIOS? This is also called system setup and the key varies from system to system. What make is your system?

If you can get into the BIOS, and if you can boot to CD, then the steps above are correct. The system should then boot to the XP CD and the menus should guide you from there. The formatting/partitioning portion of the procedure can be a little confusing to the newbie. Also, one step to watch out for is once some files have been written to your newly formatted, partitioned hard drive, it will ask to reboot. Be sure to boot from the HD, not the CD or else you will get caught in a loop. (not that that has ever happened to me lol)

Give us some of the information I asked and perhaps we can guide you a little better (and more simplified).

PK

15. padams

padams First Sergeant

he's going for a clean install, earlier he thought that upgrading was the same as installing, we explained to him that he needed to go through setup by rebooting his system with the cd in the drive. He can't get it to boot to cd and that's where we're at right now. What do you mean some older computers can't boot to cd? windows 98 came on cd, so how do you expect to load an os from a cd when a computer won't boot to cd? His computer boots to cd.

When your computer boots up and says detecting drives, does your cd-rom drive show up?
    if so then follow the below.
    in simpler instructions than before:
    -put your xp disk into the cd-rom drive and reboot the system.
    -go into your bios by pressing either del., F1, F2, F11, or whatever key your comp. says to press.
    -in the bios press the down arrow and press enter. Look for something that says boot order, or first boot device then 2nd then 3rd.
    -set the first boot device to cd-rom,the second to hdd-0 or -1, 3rd to floppy
    -now press esc. and it should take you back out to the main screen on the bios. press the right arrow button and then press the down arrow button to go to the save and exit option. hit enter and when it asks you press y and hit enter.
    -Your system will then automatically reboot and it should allow you to boot to the install disk.

Not being an a$$ Opal, just breaking it down for you.

16. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

I know that Win98 came on CD, but it also came with boot floppies. You could boot to the floppy, "install" CD drivers, then run the Win98 setup from the CD.

Sorry, I did not get the impression that Opal completely understands the difference between an "Upgrade" and "Clean" install. And that personall data would be lost with a clean install. If you read #5 and #9, this seems to be an issue. With all of this talk of "partitions," "extended partitions," "fdisk," and even "format," we may be getting over his or her head.

I just wanted to start over and establish exactly what Opal was trying to accomplish before he/she goes and blows the partitions on the HD.

PK

17. Opal

Opal Private E-2

Thanks so much, padams the last post was great for me because it was broken down, i know it was said before, but i did get confused, like you said PK with the whole partitions stuff :eek:: lol. But i do get the diff with upgrade and clean install, i was going for the upgrade from the start and throughout because i didn't want all personal data lost which i knew clean install would do, (it does say on the booklet given) so i knew that, just wondered which was best, which i know now, so thanks for all your help, and i will go and try. :)
    btw i am a she :)

18. padams

padams First Sergeant

ohhhhhh.......please excuse me i'm retarded opal, i hope i didn't offend you by calling you a him instead of a her! my appologies and i'm gald that i could break it down for you.

19. ahmed.alsayed

ahmed.alsayed Private E-2

You are welcome,i am so sorry Opal please excuse me and i hope we be friends:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds