Deleting Inaccessible Files/Folders from Defunct User Accounts

Discussion in 'Software' started by Guest2000, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Guest2000

Guest2000 Private E-2

I deleted an old administrator account from among the list of users on my machine, but its documents folder is still listed in my 'Documents and Settings' directory. It is now inaccessible, but I suspect all the original files and directory structure are still there, taking up some HD space. I had assumed that once I deleted the account, the files would be deleted too, but that doesn't appear so. When I click on the folder it pops up the following boxed message:

Recycle Bin
    (X) C:\Documents and Settings\jsmith is not accessible
    Access is denied

Sounds like it may be stuck in limbo between the original folder and the recycle bin, but I don't know.

What I'd like to do is get rid of the 'jsmith' folder entirely. Sometimes I find that editing the registry works when I have to delete some adware folder that doesn't want to go away, but in this case, it's something of my own doing, and I can't seem to find the right entry in the registry anyway.

Any other ideas?

(I use Windows XP Pro)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. Guest2000

Guest2000 Private E-2

Tried it. Didn't do anything. Seemed like it took no time at all, even tho I selected DoD option. The directory is still listed there.

But thanks anyway.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Well, crapola ...boot into safe mode and try from there ..or/and change the security setting on the folder to allow your user profile w/admin rights.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds