explorer.exe High CPU usage opening/closing folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cull501, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Cull501

Cull501 Private E-2

Hello let me first say thanks for any help with this problem. Ive had this problem for about 2 weeks now and have been trying to fix it for awhile now.
    Whenever I open a folder on my desktop explorer jumps to 25% and the folder takes roughly 30 seconds to open. Whenever I try closing the folder it takes about 10 seconds to close.
    My system specs are:
    OS=Vista x64
    HDD=1 TB Seagate Barracuda
    RAM= 4GB Corsair Dominator
    CPU= 3.0GHz Q6600 Quad Core
    Ive tested this by creating an empty folder on the desktop so that there are no directories in it and then opening the folder.
    Other files on the desktop work fine such as text documents and .exe files. I ran process explorer and under the threads tab there are two things that take up CPU
    SHLWAPI.dll and BROWSEUI.dll ive been unable to fix this issue so any help is appreciated.
    Ive already tried turning hard drive inexing on and off both didnt help.
    When i restart the computer in safe mode the problem goes away but i dont know how to make it work in normal boot.
    :confused

-Thanks

2. justintjacob

justintjacob Private E-2

run in command prompt

regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\zipfldr.dll /u

regsvr32 shell32.dll

Delete the reg key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

http://www.justinjacob.com

3. Cull501

Cull501 Private E-2

Hello, Thanks for your reply
    I tried the solution but when i type this in
    regsvr32 C:\windows\system32\zipfldr.dll /u
    I get an error RegSvr32 The module "C:\windows\system32\zipfldr.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllUnregisterServer was not found.
    I am running cmd.exe as administrator and do not have UAC on
    Ive downloaded a new zipfldr.dll but it wont let me delete the old one even though im administrator.
    -Thanks for your help

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I realize you have probably seen these threads but two things look like possibilities to try:

1) Simple to check would be look for a MSN reference/entry in Computer. http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=93537

2) I'm thinking you have some broken file or shortcut on the desktop that explorer is trying to access.
    If this only happens on the desktop then I would try moving as many things off the desktop as possible. Create a folder directly on C: something like Desk2 and move all files/shortcuts from the desktop to that folder. Then see if you still get high CPU for a new empty folder on the Desktop. http://social.technet.microsoft.com...i/thread/9a109892-a473-4f5b-a2fe-f3c3b34deed8

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Try the below if sach2's info doesn't lead anywhere.

Have you tried clocking your cpu back to 2.4Ghz, since I don't think q6600 are typically at 3ghz.

What about msconfig, and select "Selective Startup". Then uncheck "Load startup Items" and also possibly go to the services tab, check the box "Hide all Microsoft Services" then click Disable all. Click OK, reboot.

This should essentially set you to the default load of your OS. With nothing but MS related items that start up.

Since we really don't know this desktops history, sometimes turning everything off is the best way to trouble shoot the issue. Especially since safemode works.

6. Cull501

Cull501 Private E-2

thanks sach2 for the reply. I tried both steps with no success :( ive made some progress using process explorer not sure if your familiar with it. Ive found that while opening a file explorer.exe uses high CPU and under that there are 2 threads that use high CPU first SHLWAPI.dll uses high CPU then BROWSEUI.dll uses high CPU as soon as the window for the folder appears and after 30 seconds it goes back to normal usage.

7. Cull501

Cull501 Private E-2

thanks for the reply thefool. I reset my processor back to factory and nothing changed and then i also tried selective startup with nothing checked. To my surprise that didnt work i though it would work just like in safe mode so that we could narrow it down but it didnt so that tells me its a windows problem that doesnt load in safe mode but loads in normal boot.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Also, try from msconfig:

Diagnostic Startup.

9. Cull501

Cull501 Private E-2

hmm oddly enough it still doesnt work it only works on safe mode :(any other ideas?

10. Cull501

Cull501 Private E-2

ok so i guess i fixed the problem. Simply by running chkdsk (which took a very long time) the problem is fixed for now i guess it was a corrupteed file somewhere.
    -thanks for the suggestions

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

Glad its resolved. Odd that chkdsk fixed it. No matter, as long as it is working.
    :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds