BSOD issues on old laptop.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ak_JacKaL, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Ak_JacKaL

Ak_JacKaL Private E-2

OK, first I will mention that I have attempted the steps outlined in Adrynalyne's sticky thread that details how to debug memory dumps. Despite following the instructions, the program tells me I have the wrong symbols to debug. I have both used the symbol file path provided, and downloaded symbol files to the desktop. It does say that the likely cause was ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+c7f7 ) . That is just one of the BSOD's I get. Errors I see (all on startup) include:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
    ACPI_DRIVER_INTERNAL

... and after 3-5 starts, the system will boot with no BSOD. Many times with no issues until you restart.

Now, this is an old HP Laptop running XP. Looking at other tech forums and knowledge bases, many say that the dvd drivers cause this, and in the rare cases it didnt then memory was the culprit. I've done memory swaps to no avail. I find it hard to believe that no good driver can be found for the drive in the years it's been out.

I've already done the start from scratch thing, and since that didn't work need to find some other fix.

Where should I go from here?

JacKaL
    (P.S. Anyone have some further insight on getting the right symbols for WINDBG?)

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Lots of assorted error messages suggest hardware source to the problem. Usually this is memory, but remember there is also memory within the processor and memory of a sort on the hard drive. Failing of these will also induce random BSODs.

You can test the drive theory by using MSconfig to suppress it loading temporarily. You can actually do this for each driver in turn.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds