Error detected during paging operation

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Sep 21, 2010.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Windows XP Home SP3 - There's several HUGE sections in the Event Viewer with yellow "Warning" exclamation points, and the errors are as follows:
    As I was looking through these errors, a found one almost exactly the same:

I say "almost the same" because of one big difference; look at the bold type in the top error, and the bold type in the 2nd error. How is it possible that there's a "Harddisk2" when the PC has only a single hard drive with a single partition? Also, I used the "more information" link and was informed that the drive should be replaced (which I assumed), but when I ran the Seagate diagnostic, it found no problems. Weird, no?

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Not sure about the hdd-1 and hdd-2 since you only have one drive but I get the same thing on hdd-1 which is my external. Only does it when coming out of "standby" after several hours. Checked with the Seagate tools too and all is well with both drives(0 and 1). It's done this since day one, a little over a year ago, of the installation of the external.

In your case, weird yes.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi dlb

Its a generic error HERE. could be as mentioned missing external drive to a none writable CD etc

You will find many errors in Event Logs that are not actually errors but notifications, and a log of services or devices looked for but not present of started.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah - these were all 'warnings' in the Event Viewer, but the details said "error during paging operation". I cloned the drive to a brand new 250gb SATA (it was previously a 60gb IDE) and all the paging errors are gone. Odd that you mention the possibility of an external drive: the PC had a PCI USB card which had failed, so maybe some of the HD2 warnings were referring to an external HD connected to the bad USB card (it was also replaced with a new card).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds