laptop crashin when tryin 2transfer files between laptop 2 external hard drive/usb

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nzodiac35, Apr 5, 2011.

1. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

hi,

this started on saturday, i transferred movies/tv shows from my friends ext hard drive to my laptop. then i tried to transfer these back onto my ext hard drive, and although it was very slow, not everything has copied and the computer seems to crash (ie run extremely slow, that i cannot do anything).

thinking this may be a problem with my ext hard drive, i tried moving the same files to my usb stick but the same problem, computer slows down so badly, when i click on something it says not responding, then i have to wait 20 minutes to cross it all off so i can use the rest of the laptop.

im not sure if this is in the right area., please help.

thanks

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Re: laptop crashin when tryin 2transfer files between laptop 2 external hard drive/us

Greetings, nzodiac35.

We need some more info:

What's the make and model # of your laptop, and what operating system version and Service Pack # are you using?

Were you able to transfer the same types of files before Saturday? If so, some event must have occurred to cause the problem: have a you tried a System Restore to a date before Saturday?

Have you tried to transfer files while in Safe Mode?

3. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

Re: laptop crashin when tryin 2transfer files between laptop 2 external hard drive/us

hi there, thanks for the reply,

make and model: hp pavillion dv2700 artist notebook pc vista home premium 32bit

yes i was able to transfer files before.
    however i have tried a system restore, no luck, still crashing and didnt respond to anything for half an hour so restarted the laptop by holding onto power button,

i did try to transfer through safe mode, it was transferring at the start and then crashed/did not respond again after this but allowed me to restart.

unfortunately i cannot find which service pack im using, nothing is coming up.

thanks

4. Caliban

Is the machine working normally otherwise?

How much RAM does your machine have?

How are you performing the files transfer - are you dragging and dropping via Windows Explorer, copying/pasting, or using some backup program?

Are the USB ports compatible (2.0 vs. 2.0, etc.)? And have you tried different ports?

Sorry for all the questions - just trying to get a handle on what's going on here.

5. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

it says 3GB RAM on the windows start up. im trying to transfer just by copying and pasting. i have tried other usb ports but the same problem, however would like to update you on the situation. it is crashing(not responding) all up the time now. today morning tried install urgent windows update (sP1) but it just froze after doing 50% of it, gave it 2hrs and came back but still same point so i restarted it, yday night, tried to go on youtube and it just froze and therefore had to restart again.

6. Caliban

Yeah, sounds like something's going on. Copying and pasting large files is a good stress test, which your machine is apparently failing.

Can you access your BIOS? If so, take a look at any temperature readings, see if anything stands out. Also, make sure any fans are clean and working properly.

The Safe Mode failure is troubling - that usually indicates a hardware problem, a Windows problem, or both.

7. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

hi thank you for the quik reply, what kinda temperatures should i b looking out for. im not a computer whizkid. i have gone into the bios but i cannot seem to see anything about temperatures, it allows me to change the time and date and thats it. there is another link for diagnostics and logs but clicking enter there gives me nothing, it also says on the main bios page that i have 4096MB ram. thanks

8. Caliban

Ok, let's try this if possible:

Please download and run Speccy, a free system information tool.

When the scan completes, click 'File', 'Save as Text file', name the report, and save to an easily found location, such as your Desktop.

Be advised: the report will display your IP Address and Windows Product Key. You may delete this information if you so wish.

Then attach that file to your next post per these instructions: HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post.

9. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

should i also try to complete the windows update?? or should i try and do a full scan (kaspersky internet security 2010). the problem is im thinking it will just stop responding again and i will have to restart. thanks

10. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

thank you, attached the file.

Attached Files:

11. Caliban

I'd suggest a negative on the Windows Update - no sense introducing the possibility of even more issues with the machine. You can always update once you get your current problems solved.

You can try a scan - might be another good stress test.

One more quickie: do you have a Windows disk and/or restoration disks?

12. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

i will attempt a scan, also yes, i do have my original recovery disks that i made when i started the laptop for the first time.

13. Caliban

I can see already that you have a heat problem - your CPU is at 82°C (180°F) and your motherboard is at 89°C (192°F).

I'd strongly suggest checking your fan(s) for cleanliness and operation.

14. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

hi there, wow they seem pretty high, at 100 degrees would it start melting?? what are the average values they should be. I just sprayed the back of the laptop with a air duster (into the air vents). thats all i can do rite??

15. Caliban

I don't have a laptop handy at the moment, but to give you some comparison values, my desktop is running CPU=10°C and motherboard=19°C. I know that laptops normally run hotter than desktops, but I think yours is approaching dangerous levels.

You might try shutting down the machine for a while, then restarting and attempting the files transfer, see if the symptoms are indeed heat-related.

I'll check your model's manuals, see if there is a clear procedure for pulling your CPU and reapplying thermal paste, but you may be looking at a visit to a repair shop.

16. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

the temperatre difference is massive. I have already tried to shut down, left it for a while and then tried the transfer but to no avail, so im not sure if the symptons are heat related. i will check the manuals if there is a way to try and clean the fan etc.

thanks, so theres no point me doing any virus/malware scan>>>???

17. Caliban

A scan wouldn't hurt, but I seriously doubt that this issue is malware-related. Regardless: you've got to get those temps down somehow.

18. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

okay sure, just one thing, why did u ask me if i had my recovery disks? you think i should do a repair using that?

19. Caliban

If there is a Windows problem, then yes, I was going to suggest running a System File Checker (SFC) scan, maybe even a repair/reinstall.

However, I think the heat problem is more pressing at this point. I looked at your manual, and pulling the heatsink doesn't look too difficult except for the fact that it states that the heatsink bracket must be replaced. That may or may not be the case.

Tell you what - why don't you look at the manual yourself, see if you feel confident about cleaning the heatsink and fan and re-applying thermal paste?

20. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

hi m8, i was wondering, where you managed to find the manual? i have found one but not too sure if it is the correct one, it says that in order to remove the heat sink/fan, i will need to remove a lot of other parts first inc. hard drive, system board and another 5 things. (DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT? like the one you saw?? )) and also whilst doing the kaspersky full scan, the computer automatically restarted but reading kaspersky later on found out that the full scan had been stopped due to a malfunction and then looked into it deeper, there was a trojan detected 'Detected: Trojan.Java.Agent.ak' but also automatically deleted it.

does this have any relevance? thanks m8

21. Caliban

This is pretty much the standard maintenance and service guide for the dv2700: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295820.pdf - probably the same one you looked at. The removal procedure is fairly straightforward - yes, you'll have to remove the hard drive, etc., but with care and common sense it shouldn't be too difficult.

Bottom line: you must get those temps down.

As far as the trojan issue, I seriously doubt it has any bearing upon your overheat problems. Once you get the temp situation straightened out, you can pursue the malware angle.

22. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

hi m8, i did manage to complete a full scan yesterday took 4.5hrs, one threat was found and deleted and since then touch woods the computer has not shut down or frozen. after the scan i did try and move some files and it was fine upto a file about 700mb, tried a 1.81 gb and it wasnt having it, got jammed, and forced to restart.

sorry about the model, i must of mistypes, its a dv2000 but i have found a manual for it anyway but do you know how much roughly a computer shop would charge?

thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds