ndis.sys BSOD/Freezing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by myzticshadow146, May 15, 2006.

1. myzticshadow146

myzticshadow146 Private E-2

Hey, I just installed Windows xp pro sp2 on a Athlon 4200+ pc with 2gb of ram, 2x200gb RAID 0, Geforce 6600GT graphics card.

I have been using it for two weeks now, and about a week ago it started randomely restarting. I found out it was my video card driver, so i updated it and everything was fine.

Now just yesterday my computer has started freezing noticably. If the screensave is on then it wont go back, if the screen is active it just freezes, and if the monitor is off it says no signal.

I used the Driver Verifier and found out that the problem is a driver called ndis.sys. Btw I only get the blue screen of death when I use Driver verifier. Otherwise it just freezes.

I don't know exactly how to fix this, but I read on another forum that it has to do with my network card. I have a gigabit lan card, but i've never used it, i usually use my D-link dwl G520 PCI card.

Does anyone know how I could fix this? I dont know exactly what this driver is for, but I sorta need to figure it out by Saturday.

Thanks in advance, :)

Geoffrey

2. myzticshadow146

no one knows the problem?

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Hope you mean next Saturday. :eek:

Get the driver that you know works. Go to the device manger & uninstall the video card. Reboot. Load the driver again. Reboot.

See how that goes.

4. myzticshadow146

sorry for the late response. I have been away from a computer since I posted. Sorry.

I tried uninstalling the driver and then installing the latest version, but nothing happens.

Any other advice?

5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

By saying 'nothing happens' you mean it is still having issues?

Have you got onboard video? If so remove the drivers that are now installed & shutdown. Disconnect the power & take the video card out. Boot into the BIOS & enable the onboard video.

Is the problem still there?

6. myzticshadow146

yes, when i say nothing happens i mean i still have the problem. Sorry for the confusion.

I don't think my motherboard has onboard video, but I'm not sure how to check. I have the Buffalo A8N-SLI. I know it has dual videocard support, but not sure about onboard video.

ps. the video card has a weird jack, and I have a converter that sits between it and my monitor plug. Could this have anything to do with it?

7. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

You're right. No video.

What made you think it was your video driver? It may be another hardware issue.

8. myzticshadow146

well it says that there is a driver error. I used the driver verifier to find out that the the malfunctioning driver is ndis.sys

that is all i know. Also, Counterstrike is crashing and giving me graphics lag.

9. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

It could have nothing to do with your video driver. Google references seem to point to NDIS = "Network Driver Interface Specification". Something to do with your network settings....possibly.

See if Microsoft are of any help.

10. myzticshadow146

sounds like it might help, but I have no clue how to debug.

What do i open?

11. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

No idea. I've never been on a network. Hopefully someone will be able to help.

12. myzticshadow146

Could the problem has something to do with my D-link card? Since I've been getting these errors, my d-link card randomly drops the signal sometimes, and sometimes just doesn't detect it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds