Samsung Spinpoint F1 problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trunksthebattler2000, May 19, 2008.

1. trunksthebattler2000

trunksthebattler2000 Private First Class

So I bought a pair of 750GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 drives the other day to mostly good reviews (should have read the bad ones too, oh well) and whenever I try to use them for anything other than installing an OS they cause the whole system to lock up. From what I've read the people that seem to have problems with these drives also have nVidia chipsets. Does anyone know of a fix for this? Also I find it very strange that there is no issue what so ever when installing Windows XP Pro but if I try to copy amounts of data as small as a few MB the drives cause the system to lock up. Any ideas on this? More questions and comments to come. Posting now so I don't lose this when I try to run diagnostics on the drives.

2. zepper

zepper Corporal

I assume you already checked over the Samsung as well as the mobo and nVidia support sites and done some web searching to no avail? If this is a known problem as you suggest, the help should be found there. All I can suggest is to try one at a time and you could try programming the drives to SATA I speed - I've heard that Samsung did a firmware patch to allow setting those of their drives that don't do as expected when jumpered to SATA 1 (there is a jumper, but it may not be easy to find the documantaion on it) to be set to that speed in the firmware.

.bh.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds