Secure Remote Access

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Captain Drift, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

Hi,

I have a Netgear DG834 V3 router and an Raidon NAS SL3620-2S-LB2.
    I am wanting to remote access the NAS from home and work on a MAC.

I currently have set up the FTP with the router forwarding all external connections to the NAS. Then using a user name and password to access.

How can I make this more secure, but easy to use when setup?

Thank you
    Captain

2. djlowe

djlowe Private First Class

Hi,
    Well, the first thing that I think of when I see FTP is "Switch to SFTP", but it doesn't appear that your NAS supports it. I'd look on the manufacturer's site to see if they have a firmware update that does.

Since that route is out, the next step is to try to secure the connection between your Mac and your home network.

Your router supports VPN clients:

http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2321

http://support.netgear.com/app/answ...2LzEvdGltZS8xMzE5NTAwNzIyL3NpZC9MLUFKWW9Iaw==

The last link is for the Windows SafeNet VPN client, but the information within should help you somewhat.

Depending on what version of OS X you're running, you already have a VPN client available.

The general steps would be to set up the router to accept VPN connections, and then configure the OSX VPN client to connect to it.

I'm afraid that both of those are beyond the scope of a short forum post, and the OS X component is beyond my knowledge at this time.

But, the links above, and some searching on the OS X support forums should help.

Finally, you shouldn't route all external connections from your firewall to the NAS: Only route those protocols/ports that you need.

Regards,

dj

3. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

hi djlowe,

Thanks for the reply.
    Thank you for the Netgear links, I will investigate. IIRC the MAC runs Snow Leopard.
    When connecting from home it is a dynamic IP so will have to check the ports.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds