Offline crash

Discussion in 'Software' started by Whovian33, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Whovian33

Whovian33 Private First Class

When I play computer games offline, now & then my computer freezes/crashes--why & what's the fix? OLB

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. Whovian33

I have Windows98SE and since I am no rookie to majorgeeks.com, I've done all the steps to do BEFORE asking for help. Now do think I could get some help? OLB

4. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Quite the attitude there eh?

No, you have NOT 'done all the steps' as you say. Try actually going to the link provided by Halo and providing the requested information and THEN someone can help you. The ONLY information you gave is your OS...what about all the rest (hardware, drivers, etc.) that are critical to your system's performance and troubleshooting your problem?

5. Whovian33

OOOK. I have done the download html. What's next? OLB

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Nobody in this forum can help you if you don't provide the informatin that is requested.

Follow the instructions in this POST.

Be a bit more specific about the nature of your problem other than:
    Statements like this mean absolutely nothing to myself and several of the other members who provide help to 'Users in Need'.

7. Whovian33

I have run EVEREST Home Edition; here is my report. OLB

Attached Files:

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

That is a pretty dated system.

I suggest you make sure you are using the latest drivers and Bios etc that is available, and run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.

Start, Run and type in dxdiag

What game/s is it crashing?

Do you get an error message? What is the exact problem?

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

It'd be nice to know what games are crashing too. And you say offline games crash, not online? Are there any other circumstances such as this you might like to enlighten us with?

EDIT: Oh, Insomniac covered my first question :p

10. Whovian33

When I play Solitaire offline it happens. I don't know if the same thing happens in Hearts or MineSweeper since I don't play those games. It only happens offline--by the way, I did run dxdiag and noticed I do not have Bios; it lists it as n/a.
    I have run AdAware Personal,AVG7, SpyBot S&D, CCleaner,NoAdware and also run AVG7 and SpyBot S&D and failed to find any trojans or viruses as possible culprits to the problem. Suggestions? OLB

11. Whovian33

P.S: I have run dxdiag, do I need to attach it, if so, how do I do that? OLB

12. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

Ok we now know that your system spec's are and what game crashes. Describe to us what actually happens when it crashes.

Please answer these questions:
    1. Does the Game only crash or does your entire system crash?, which requires a system restart.
    2. Do you get any error messages?, if so what are they.
    3. Does it crash every time you play?
    4. Is there any pattern to the time it crashes. ie every time you press a certain button or complete a specific task?

13. Whovian33

1. Entire system crashes.
    2. No error messages, only a "frozen screen with up and down lines which then requires a reboot.
    3. No. It's dicey.
    4. No pattern whatsoever.
    Hope this helps. OLB
    P. S.: I've tried to upgrade my BIOS, but when I do, I get a dialog box saying "program has performed illegal operation and will be shut down" and I end up with zilch.

14. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

Sorry but i have no idea what is causing the problem or even what it might be.

If it keeps happening just download another type of solitare off the net. There are hundreds of them.

Sorry i could not be of more help

I have attached a file to this post. its the solitare exe from my computer. The file i have attached is sol.zip but its actually a .rar file i just renamed it because mg.com would not let me upload a rar file. This might work and it might not.

Attached Files:

• sol.zip
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
  15. Whovian33

Your zip file would not download--maybe I can get my sister to get me a new solitaire program. Thanks anyway. OLB

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds