Greetings

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by rjordan, Aug 2, 2013.

1. rjordan

rjordan Private First Class

Hello everyone.

I currently work advanced technical support for a large firm, assisting field agents with all types of PC issues.

I specialize in manually removing viruses, malware, etc.

Been browsing this site for tips for a while, figured I would stop by and get active in the community.

Looking forward to learning even more methods from you guys, and providing whatever assistance I can as well.

Thanks for the site!

See ya around

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi and welcome to Major Geeks. :)

We're always happy to have people join the community and offer help.

However, only our approved experts are able to post advice in our Malware forum to avoid confusion and possibly really messing up someone's computer. All other help forums are open though.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

Some information to help you if your are serious in devoting like many techs don on this forum to giving up a lot of spare free time to help others, this is not a hit and run thing!

Becoming A Malware Forum Helper

A vast majority of core posters are techs in the industry and self moderate all pots, which I think is a good thing, as we can al learn, it also allows for as our doctrine is to give clear and quality information to all users be they novices or IT Pros, we tailor our posts to the user.

We thought any question be it a simple one is not a stupid one, as the only question stupid is the one not asked.

I hope you from what you stated in IT support that you could become a valued member of our community, hey all forums need good techs to help out other user with there issues.

4. rjordan

rjordan Private First Class

Thanks for the welcoming!

I read through the post to "Become a Helper"

Honestly, I am not sure I would call myself an expert, maybe I am just too humble in my abilities...

So, not too sure how else I would be able to help out. Been looking through the latest posts and thinking about how I personally would handle it, and then of course reading what the techs have to say.
    Really frustrating looking at these threads and knowing I can help them and offer advice... But of course I cannot do so yet :(

We do have different methods and tools it would seem. But also here, you guys deal strictly with giving instructions and relying on logs. While where I work, we always remote into the PC and do the virus removal. If we can't get remoted while it is in safe mode, we usually boot with a Win7/Bart PE disc and remotely remove the entrys through the virtualized environment.

Some of the tools we cannot use often due to encryption software and other OS specifics that need to be in place for our agents, so I am not too familiar with some that you use.

I will however say, I have been seeing the FBI Virus and ZeroAccess rootkit removal processes on here, and I hate to say, there are some files/entrys that are being missed. All of my virus removals are hands-on, digging through the entire PC for 2-3 hours, and I document everything I find, and I have found certain patterns and specific locations where they hide.

I have made up a couple 'Virus Removal Guides" specifically relating to the FBI Virus and ZeroAccess Rootkit. The guide was mainly intended to help our "lower tier techs" do actual virus cleanups rather than clearing temp files and running malwarebytes, then transferring it up to the advanced techs such as myself to take care of.

I would not mind releasing some of the documentation to you guys, just understand I would like to receive credit for it if you end up posting it as a guide or something (wouldn't mind building a little portfolio for myself ;) )
    But if you guys will utilize it just for in-house troubleshooting, I am more than willing to provide it!

Also, a side note, do you guys ever use remote connections to do the removals, or is there some policy/law preventing that?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what I can do for the community!

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

David gave you good info for becoming a helper. The main thing is that you start out in the other forums, other then malware, and show us your skills. From there, depending on our time, we may consider you for malware removal.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds