Disable Superfetch & Prefetch while gaming?

Discussion in 'Software' started by avalanch, Dec 25, 2013.

1. avalanch

avalanch Private E-2

Is this a good idea?

Disable SuperFetch and Prefetch.

Both SuperFetch and Prefetch boost Windows and application start-up times (in some cases, at least!). For games, however, I noticed that loading times and background activity actually increases when both of these Windows caching features are enabled, so I recommend turning them both off if you’re an avid gamer.

To do this, go to “Control Panel”, “System and Security”, “Administrative Tools” and “Services”. Scroll down until you see the “SuperFetch” entry, double-click on it, and choose “Disabled” from the list.

[​IMG]

Hit “OK”, and close all of the windows. Next, open up the registry; click on the Start orb, and type in “regedit”. Hit Enter, and go to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters”. Double-click on “EnablePrefetcher”, and enter “0” (default value is “3”) to disable the Prefetcher.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Debatable one this as SuperFetch/Prefetch are disabled by default on Win7 and 8 for SSD drives (could be the odd time they are not so a manual check is a good idea) and the article posted seems to be aiming users to SSD drives for gaming, which is not a bad idea.

Do you have an SSD drive and what Specs and Windows version you have, plus are you having issues with gaming?

For specs can run the below:
    Tweaks are at times a great idea to give a little kick to a PCs performance but at time they can have a negative effect and one such negative effect is seen in Intel chip SSDs in disabling write-cache buffer flushing, now this doesn't affect all SSD drives, so what one tweak may be good for some PCs its not the case for all.

Plus the same blog you listed with this idea also posted this HERE

I personally think disabling some core Windows tasks is not a great idea in a permanent basis, but some can help a low powered PC work better, for a gamer I would go for an application like Game Booster HERE and do watch the video that Tim aka Major Attitude has in the link also.

3. avalanch

avalanch Private E-2

No I don't have a SSD and I don't really have any issues with gaming except that without Razer Game Booster, my fullscreen games would randomly close to desktop with the game still being active in the background. However, since I've been using RGB, it seemed to have stopped that behaviour.

Attached Files:

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Ok cool thanks for the update, so basically stick with what you have now, saves introducing any new issues with those tweaks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds