Proxy Settings/Can't Use Any Search Engines

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WWEfan1978, Oct 2, 2003.

1. WWEfan1978

WWEfan1978 Private E-2

I'm using Internet Explorer 6.0 and for two days I've been having problems accessing web pages. Sometimes I can go to them, but sometimes I can't. At the lower left hand corner where it shows what web page you're going to it just says

"Detecting Proxy Settings"

Why is it saying this? I haven't touched anything. The window's icon in the upper right hand corner just keeps turning. Seems like it's trying to find the web page, but it can't.

Also I can't use NO search engines. Google, Yahoo, MSN, or anything. The ONLY ones I can use is if I go to Juno.com and Earthlink.com and use it that way.

I can't "directly" go to Google.com or type in www.google.com and use their search engine. When I try to use these engines the page

"Cannot Display Page" comes up.

I've checked for Virus' but can't find any.

Thanks.

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

are you located behind a proxy such as a school campus? that could block the search pages.

edit: Welcome to MajorGeeks!

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to Connections tab, LAN Settings and see if you have a proxy enabled there.

4. WWEfan1978

WWEfan1978 Private E-2

Proxy

My computer is at home not at a school.

Also I NEVER use a Proxy or never needed to. I went to Connections and Lan and even Settings, but nothing is checked or in the spaces.

I can get to pages but it takes 2 minutes cause it's trying to find a Proxy, but I'm not sure why since I've never had any troubles before.

I've re-downloaded IE 6.

I've done the IE repair

I've even defragmented

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

ad aware?

6. WWEfan1978

WWEfan1978 Private E-2

Huh?

When you type Ad-Ware? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Are you asking me IF I have Ad-Ware?

What would that have to do with a Proxy or being able to use search engines?

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: Huh?

Oh believe me, plenty.

yes, I was asking if you had and tried ad aware.

There tons of spyware apps that like to hit you with proxies and redirects.

just some common spyware apps that like to send you through their own proxy:

New.net domains
    Commonname Toolbar

An ad blocker that uses its own proxy, and sometimes doesnt even show it as configured in IE:

Ad Subtract

A Trojan that likes to modify your DNS settings:

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.qhosts.html

8. WWEfan1978

WWEfan1978 Private E-2

Thanks!

Thanks for the post.

Ya know what? I found 10 virus on my computer with Norton and most of them were Trojan (sp) So that's probably WHY it's telling me at the bottom of my page in IE "Detecting Proxy Settings" and it takes 1 minute for a page to come up.

So what's the way around this? Do I need to put my HP recovery disk in and put my computer back to the way it was when I bought it?

I tried doing this, but when I'm at the last step it freezes on me. Not sure it's due to the 10 virus's (which I put in Quarantine)

This is actually the first time I've had problems with IE that I couldn't solve.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Was one the trjans the one I posted above?

Maybe you could post a list, we could take a look.

10. WWEfan1978

WWEfan1978 Private E-2

Thanks You

I found out why I was getting the "Detecting Proxy Settings" in the lower left hand corner of my IE 6 screen. As I said before I don't even use Proxy and have no need to. I didn't even know what it was or what it was used for until now. Instead of IE 6 showing the page I was going to it was saying "Detecting Proxy Settings"

I spent 3 hours searching on the web and all the web sites told me to.

Go to "Tools" at the top of your IE browser.

Go to "Internet Options"

Go to "Connections" at the top tab

Go to "Settings"

Make sure NOTHING is checked and click "Ok".

I was doing that, but it wasn't working. One site told me to click on everything that's in the "Dial-Up Virtual Private Network Settings" box in the middle of the page and make sure NOTHING is checked.

I use Juno and the things in the box were

Juno Web
    Juno Web Backup
    Juno
    My Connection

In "My Connection" there was a check where it said.

"Automatically Detect Settings" and that was the litte check that was causing me all this trouble.

Everything is fixed and I currently have NO Virus'

I guess one of the 10 Virus' I had missed up my Proxy Settings?

Thanks for the help and to others who have checked out my post in the past 2 days.

Thanks,
    Jesse

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds