Acer Chipset Driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by FED UP, Oct 8, 2008.

1. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Driver search

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

That's just a bit vague.
    How about some more info, like:
    Model number.

3. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

yes i dont know what happened. i had written a complete post that took me 10 minutes to compose, included attachments, and it produced a post that said nothing more than Driver Search. I apologize, and will try AGAIN after i eat some dinner.
    in the meantime, the original thread is here (i started in the SOFTWARE forum)
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=169394

4. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

ok. Here goes my second try to successfully post my problem.

original thread : http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=169394

I am trying to find the chipset driver for my nVIDIA nForce 430, but it has to be compatible with VISTA since the machine came preloaded with VISTA. I have attempted to install the chipset driver from the ACER site, but the installer fails, because it is only compatible with XP .
    The bottom line is, i am getting the BSOD whenever i shut down the computer, if you look at the thread i linked to, you will see that i have now installed a RADEON x700 in the hopes that the problem was with the IGP, and i could simply bypass the IGP with the RADEON. Also, the driver installer for the x700 claims to fail to install, yet EVEREST shows it installed, and device manager shows no problem with the x700. I will attach a fresh EVEREST report .
    If you are interested, please check out the original thread linked above .
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I downloaded the Acer chipset driver and it has a readme that states it is for XP,
    Acer doesn't seem to have a description of what their chips are...... but your Everest report shows this: NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management.
    So I am guessing it is one of the nVidia nForce series. Luckily, they all use the same driver.
    So give this a try:
    Set a Restore point!
    Download this chipset driver and give it a try: nForce Driver
    If you have any problems you can do a System Restore.

6. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

will do asap after work. thank you sir !
    also, if you look here : http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=1165780
    that is the exact computer i have, and listed in the spec is :
    Chipset nVIDIA nForce 430
    there is much more information in hte link to my orignal thread is you have the time and/or interest in checking out whats been going on, i appreciate your assistance, as well as BOLD EAGLE'S and MIMSY'S help. Major Geeks has proven to be a valuale source for help .
    I wonder why EVEREST several specs (processor, etc) as unknown ??
    that seems strange to me and i wonder if it has to do with the hardware failure i am experiencing which results in my dreaded BSOD. At any rate, ill be back home from work in about 11 hours or so and will get back to work on this. You folks have a good day !

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I will take a look in a bit at the other thread, but let's see what happens with the chipset install.
    That can solve a lot of problems, if the other drivers are already installed. The chipset driver allows them to be recognized.
    BSOD"s are caused by driver problems (and memory) most of the time.

8. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Recommended chipset driver installed. Still getting exact same BSOD .
    bleh !
    i need to find the driver for my wireless card, as WinDbug is telling me theres a problem with the driver for that .
    2Wire 802.11G USB Wireless

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Is this your card?
    802.11G PCI Card
    (Drivers on this page, too)

Going to look at your other thread, too.

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I remember your thread now. I stepped in after Mimsy asked me to take a look.
    I must have lost it, somehow.
    I offered up the XP drivers for some stupid reason. :banghead
    The chipset you installed was Vista (this time) and must have installed properly because you didn't mention any error report.
    There is a Vista driver for your wireless card in the link I just gave you.
    So now, we are back to where I was supposed to be, helping (instead of hindering) rolleyes
    Let me know whether that solves the problem.
    Looking back I found this: "isatap.gateway.2Wire.net" odd, in the Device Manager.
    I suggest uninstalling that and the wireless driver, rebooting and then reinstalling the one I suggested.

11. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

12. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Well, that driver would not install, but now i know that that driver IS the problem causing the BSOD, as the two restarts i performed with the driver deleted - I DIDNT GET A BSOD. Problem is, the driver for the USB device would not install, so i used system restore, and now the stupid BSOD is back. The driver installer said it "couldnt create the destination file" or something to that effect .
    Hmmmmmm. .. . . . ..

13. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm batting a 1000, aren't I. LOL

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I just took a look at the instructions.
    Did you follow them?

Attached Files:

15. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

ok. After 3 straight hours of working on this, even when following the instructions, i couldnt get the downloaded wireless driver to work.
    I have used system restore to get up and running again .
    I am thoroughly frustrated and do not wish to continue working on this tonight, however i do have the weekend off of work, so i will continue tomorrow.
    I will start at square 1 tomorrow, and report back with every result of every action i take, maybe we can get this thing resolved.
    I do appreciate everyone's help (BOLD EAGLE, MIMSY, and MUSKSNIPE), and I am totally confident that we can get this issue resolved.
    thnx ppl !
    ;)

One thing I am considering is simply buying an ethernet cable long enough to reach the router, thereby eliminating the need for a wireless ANYTHING lol.
    Might this also increase my upload/download/connection speeds ?
    the cable would only have to be about 30 feet to reach from the router to the computer.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  16. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

Ok, i purchased an ethernet cable to directly connect my computer to the router . Problem solved! No more of the dreaded BSOD ! I just don't understand why Geek Squad would even use a wireless connection to the desktop when the router is less than 15 feet away. I guess they are retards . LOL !
    I appreciate everyone's help !
    I was hoping that using the ethernet cable would increase my connection speed (as opposed to the wireless) but using the speedtest site, it doesnt seem to be the case . Hm.. I wonder if theres anything i can do about THAT ?
    Regardless, I am happy to have the BSOD resolved .
    Thanks y'all ! (im allowed to use the term "y'all" cause i was born and raised in Texas !)

Until next time !:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds