How do you find the host file of a site you think is blocked by your firewall or AOL?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cats2003meow, Apr 25, 2007.

1. cats2003meow

cats2003meow Private E-2

I am trying to access this site (Lt.firstmagnus.com) from my Windows XP desktop and I am using AOL with a Norton 2007 firewall. I've been told to use notepad to open files as follows: Windows, System 32, Drivers, Etc, and look for "host" file and find this lt. {LT + fullstop} but can't find it.
    Can I get additional instructions for host files, what they are, and what am I suppose to do with them to get my site to come up?

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Re: How do you find the host file of a site you think is blocked by your firewall or

You shouldn't ever need to mess with a host file to get a site to come up. A common use for host files is to block ad sites and such from showing up. But you don't ever need to add or mess with a host to get a site to come up. http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm Talks about what a host file is and how to use it.

3. cats2003meow

cats2003meow Private E-2

Re: How do you find the host file of a site you think is blocked by your firewall or

Thanks for that link Colemanguy. I'm glad I didn't mess with any host files then. Can you tell me what might be causing me not to be able to access my website from my desktop though? I can get it quick and easily on my laptop with no problem, but when I type in the url in AOL or even Internet Explorer on my desktop the connection is slow loading and I get an error message saying navigation cancelled.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

First try temp disabling your firewall. Thats usually the cause of most problems.

5. cats2003meow

cats2003meow Private E-2

I tried temporarily disabling Norton but was still unable to get the website up. :(

6. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

Post removed. Unhelpful, and frankly, stupid comment.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds