xp error

Discussion in 'Software' started by sheilamarie247, Jul 8, 2009.

1. sheilamarie247

sheilamarie247 Private E-2

HI, I hope you can help me with this....I dont want to format my computer because i dont want to lose my info.my computer started freezing up and i shut it down now when I start it up I get this error:
    Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I cannot boot into safe mode becasue I have a dell(inspiron 1300), and i cant get into windows.
    I have since found instructions online telling me how to repair my win xp using the start up disk,
    i was able to follow the following instructions:

First you must put your Windows XP CD in the drive.
    Then restart your computer.
    When it says press any key to boot from cd, Press any key on the keyboard. (Go to step 6)
    If it doesn't ask you this then restart your computer again.
    Go into the BIOS settings of your PC, usually by pressing the F1, F2, F10, or maybe the delete key. If you are not sure watch the screen at startup and it will say "To enter setup press.......". You have to be quick and press it. If you miss it restart again. Once you are in the bios you have to change the boot options. You have to make your cd rom the first boot option. Save and exit.
    A blue screen will appear and you are on your way..

then it shows a screen that i DO see

Press Enter to setup Windows XP now. Do not choose to Repair yet.
    If there is a copy of Windows XP on your computer setup will find it.
    See below where it says C:\windows "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" Make sure this is selected. It may say Windows XP home also.

but I dont see that screen...I see a blue screen, but it does not list what the instructions say I should see.
    it shows me three partitions:
    -: partition1 [fat]
    c: partition2 [ntfs]
    unpartioned space
    e: partition3[fat32]

i have options to install,delete or quit...
    what should i do?will installing flatten the partition?or will it just repair as it would had i been able to follow these instructions?
    remaining instructions:
    Now choose to Repair the selected Windows XP installation by pressing the letter R on the keyboard.
    Now windows will seem to run through the usual setup process, however a lot quicker. Don't panic because it will not wipe your files if you have chosen to repair.
    At some point you will have to enter the serial number and restart the computer.
    When you login again your files will still be there but the Windows errors you had will not.

thank you!
    so stressed out, i dont wanna lose my school files!!!!:cry

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

before you do that, i would try something else first.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
    follow step 2 to get into the recovery console. Then when ready, type the command chkdsk /p

see if that fixes it first.

if not, back to your first question. you can select the c: partition, and choose install, and it will install over the original but should keep your files intact.

here's some good instructions.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

3. sheilamarie247

sheilamarie247 Private E-2

Thank you SO much! :)

I have already been to the microsoft site and have seen those instructions already. I am concerned because I have an OEM loaded OS. Its not one I installed my self...I have read alll of the warnings against using the console with an OEM os.the only other option I had was the cd or flattening it...so YOu are sure I wont lose my school owrk??

4. Sir_GeekALot

Sir_GeekALot Private E-2

To ensure recovery of your data, you may be able to back up files on the hard drive by using a bootable linux CD (check out Knoppix) that will let you copy files on your drive to another disk, such as an external hard drive or flash drive. Then you could merely reinstall windows and copy the backup files into your fresh OS install afterward. This would be for files like pictures, mp3, documents, etc... Programs, configurations, etc, will not restore most likely.

5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

any time you tinker with it, you should first back up anything that's important. If you can, either put the drive into another computer to copy the items off, or get an external usb enclosure to put the drive into, and attach it to another computer and copy the important things from it.

6. JennHillier

JennHillier Private E-2

Hi there. I am having a similar error. :) But I am unable to back up my files. Will installing on the C: Partition erase my files or just replace the winxp files that I am missing or are corrupted?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds