Anyone Ever Use Google Checkout To Purchase Something? Is It Safe?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by superstar, Jun 12, 2009.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I'd like to buy something from someone who uses Google Checkout. But I'm a long time member of Paypal. It'll just be for one purchase, but I'll possibly buy more from them in the future. I have never heard of Google Checkout, I didn't even know Google was involved in such things.

Does anyone know if it is safe from experience?

Thanks

2. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi, superstar, I never even heard of it myself, and I do use Google search engine.... Weird tho... A google check out? I sure hope someone else has more info for ya... I'd be leery:confused

3. silas

silas MajorGeek

Never Heard of it but I googled it :confused And Just seems weird. But you never know maybe there is something out there that I don't know.

4. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

DeviceDemon recently posted a link to a McAfee anti scam campaign. Opened my eyes. Maybe you should err on the side of caution and not risk it until you've checked it's safe. If you ain't already been there, here it is.

http://www.stophcommerce.com.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Not used it but Google Checkout is legit and works in similar way to PalPal, but I would always urge anyone when using online payment methods to use what they are happy and comfortable with.

6. joey off the street

Hello there Halo.
    I'm glad superstar started this thread.
    Can something like this, in your opinion, be open to corruption, or are the security measures too strong to leave these payment methods open to abuse? I only ask as I don't trust internet payment methods and I want to start purchasing from the net. I'm a big Jessie, I know, but this kind of stuff worries me.
    What can a buyer do to stay safe?
    Any advice from anyone would be welcomed.

7. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

I've heard of google checkout for a while now. I've never used it, but it's been around for a couple of years. I remember it because, when it first came out, they were offering free sales (no fees) for the first few months

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Great question and I do and have used the internet for banking and buying goods for many years, I would say that thre Google Checkout is as safe as paypal as they could not afford it not to be. BUT to answer your question yes it could be open to abuse, which is why the below is IMO crucial to follow.

But on gerneral purchases, I tend to only use retaliers that I have been recomended and crucially have a legit address and contact info for, I do not ever deal with companies that have no address that can be checked.

I only use a credit card as mine has payment protection.

Only use sites that have secure payment (HTTPS), the padlock in your browser.

And make sure that the PC is secure as possible so if your prone to malware infections, I would be weary of using the net to pay for goods, but if you are a savvy net user and follow the guide to staying safe on the net that Chaslang posted in malware forum then your prety much ok.

Never email your credit card or bank card info, it must be sent via HTTPS so any retailer asking for this just dump them and look for alternate.

Good resource
    http://www.getsafeonline.org/

9. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

10. joey off the street

Excellent link, Halo. Thanks. Got 100% clean bill of health. Improved my mood, I can tell you. This is purely down to Major Geeks. When I got the PC, it was rife with malware, no security (McAfee had expired), and clueless as to what to do next. A bit of guidance and now......great stuff. Well worth the effort.
    Any one who comes to this site, disses it as worthless and leaves an insulting post is p*ssing on their own chips as far as I'm concerned.

@ smokey. re: phish-no-phish.com. This is also a very handy thing to know. I really want to go shopping and now I think I'm confident enough to do it. Thanks for that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds