[Windows7] 0xC000009A on resuming from hibernation

Discussion in 'Software' started by zedlord, Jul 28, 2013.

1. zedlord

zedlord Private E-2

Hello everyone!

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 4GB RAM. I can hibernate but I can't always resume from hibernation. The more memory is allocated before hibernation the bigger chance of resume fail.
    I found some information but it provides no help, at least in this case.
    I tried chkdsk on the drive, defragmentation, powercfg -h on/off, memtest... I found Windows hotfix(KB977178) which I guess should solve the problem but I have it already.
    I might have done something more but don't remember now. I have no idea what to do. I'd be grateful for some ideas that can solve this problem.

The error message:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you get that actual error message and if so where does it show?

Majority of the time, hibernation is a pita, and devices such as wireless, networking and USB also go to sleep and can be a pain to wake up again, but then this is the whole point of the PC going into hibernation, so disabling the wireless and other drivers that could cause this happening is futile.

When you did your tests did you run CMD from an elevated (run as administrator)prompt and then disable powercfg -h first and then run chkdsk, reboot and then turn on powercfg -h, just double checking if CMD was run elevated.

What I would suggest to try as both my laptop and netbook, where a pitiful at coming out of hibernation is to tap the power button once quickly and see if that helps.

Check for driver updates but only from the manufacturer of your PC or motherboard and do not use a driver scanner app. You may find new driver update that could fix a resume from hibernation issue.

Possible a 3rd party application you have installed could cause this so, boot into Safe Mode and see if the same issue happens, at least then its a case of tracing what application has caused this occurrence.

3. zedlord

zedlord Private E-2

Thanks for the answer.

Yes that is exactly the message I got. Black screen, after choosing OS from bootloader.

Yes, the commands were run as administrator. Disable powercfg -h first, then schedule chkdsk, shutdown, actual chkdsk(with automatic reboot after) and enable powercfg -h. There could be a shutdown between disabling and scheduling, I don't remember. Earlier I did this without chkdsk, I might have did this few times while looking for more info.

Nice suggestion but I guess it won't work since it is a box, nothing portable.

Drivers are at most 2 months old so driver updates are unlikely to help. I don't use driver scanner apps or the kind, I prefer manufacturer website. The motherboard is not so new either so there are no updates that fast.
    Furthermore, the problem was present on older motherboard I used. I had x86 OS and 2GB RAM, put in another 2GB but I saw only 3.25 so I changed to x64 but I still didn't see 4GB. I figured that motherboard 4GB limit was responsible so I changed motherboard and CPU. All the other hardware remained, since I picked a motherboard so I don't have to change more. This let me allocate more memory and made the issue far more of a problem.

How or what 3rd party application could caused this?
    Given the same programs loaded. How can OS hibernate(and resume) with 50 or 60% of memory allocated but hibernate and not resume with 70% or more?
    I tested the load with testlimit64. That way I don't have to fill ram with anything useful for tests.
    I changed the hiberfil size too(powercfg command) but it doesn't seem to change the percentage "limit". Still, I didn't do that too many times so I can't be sure.
    I'm actually using testlimit64 as a crazy workaround(push allocated ram to page) but I don't think it is a healthy idea.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds