help in understanding rootkits

Discussion in 'Software' started by jojoreal19, Aug 31, 2006.

1. jojoreal19

jojoreal19 Private E-2

just want to know additional info about rootkits, what they are for and what they do.

2. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

The term rootkit is used to describe the mechanisms and techniques whereby malware, including viruses, spyware, and trojans, attempt to hide their presence from spyware blockers, antivirus, and system management utilities.

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

> Just want to know additional info about rootkits, what they are for and what they do. jojoreal19 <

A rootkit is basically a set of covert software tools which are intended to hide or conceal running processes, files or system data, and thereby help an intruder to maintain access to a system while avoiding any detection by the affected user. Rootkits often modify parts of the operating system or install themselves as drivers or kernel modules and are known to exist for a assortment of different operating systems such as Linux, Solaris and mostly later versions of Microsoft Windows.

The AntiRootkit.com website is a great resource for those who are interested in this topic.

In particular, this article at AntiRootkit.com gives an in-depth analysis of modern malware and root kits and lays out a terrific overview of this entire subject.

Good Luck!

4. erikske

erikske Sergeant

5. jojoreal19

jojoreal19 Private E-2

thanks sarge's .... so does antivirus programs have rootkits? like komodo? i just installed komodo(both av and firewall on a new formatted pc but it gave me problems (slow down), so i hav to un install it but it's hard to uninstall so i check up its registered keys (reg cleaner) and was surprised to find the letters "spy" in all its name, so i check the listening ports of the firewall and its on ports 1026, 1029 etc, which are tagged as trojan ports listed in this site: http://www.simovits.com/trojans/, anyway i ran an independent virus scan and it posted 7 infections sys32.idriver, sys32.iscript, sys32.1srt, sys32.iuser, sys32.objps7, sys32.msxml3a, and sys32.sporder. to cut the story short i reformatted due to these complications. i wont substitute avg again. tnx guys

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds