Blue Screen of Death after malware removal - Please help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Big Ell, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Big Ell

Big Ell Private E-2

I went through the malware removal processes as described on this site. Everything was running smoothly until today. AVG caught a virus so I removed it. Then I ran malwarebytes that caught 3 things and I removed them, which required a reboot. (I don't remember what they were called, sorry).

I got the blue screen of death, and it won't load under last known working config or safe mode.

It says STOP: 0x000000024 (0x001902Fe, 0Xf78C2484, 0Xf8C2180, 0x8ABE9889)

I haven't tried anything else yet, please give me a good place to start! And I have gigs of stuff I would not like to lose.

Thanks in advance,

Ell

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Unfortunately, malware removal is a little bit like brain surgery, survival rate is not 100%.

You can't boot at all, correct? Do you have an install disk from which you could try a repair/recovery. This would probably save the data.

If this data is critical, you could slave the HD to another computer and copy it off. Just don't copy any programs and you SHOULD be safe, no guarantee though. Esp. if you are saving music, videos, pictures.

If you are going to slave, post in the hardware section for more help. I've done but am not proficient in that area.:)

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try F8 and select safe mode with command prompt. This is different than safe mode/windows so this just might load.

You will see a screen with accounts. Make sure to select one with admin privledges. Type in the password, if required.

At the command prompt type the following
    Code:
    %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    This will bring up system restore. Pick a point before you ran AVG and malwarebytes today.

If it works, I suggest before you do any scanning, you go to the AVG site and the mbam site and be sure the programs are not getting any false positives and destroying windows; it happens.

4. Big Ell

Big Ell Private E-2

Well I reinstalled (repaired) Windows XP and it works for now, thanks for the suggestion! Now, what should I look for with avg and mbam?

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Go here and let the malware forum folks help you out: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds