HTML Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by shnerdly, May 18, 2007.

1. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I am having a problem with html code. I have learned a fair amount of html on my own but can't figure this one out. The link below is to the page I'm having trouble with. The brown and orange bars at the top and bottom are the problem.

If I open this page in Firefox it appears the way I would like it. I use blockquote to set a margin on both sides and it works great.

If I open it in IE, the bars and text follow the blockquote for the left margin. On the right, the text is correct but the bars go off screen.

I've tried separating the blockquote command to the bars and text individually but that didn't work so I put it back the way I had it originally because it's simpler.

I had someone suggest writing it in PHP but I had a hard time learning what I have in HTML. PHP looks much more complicated. More like real programing. Besides, then I would have to copy everything to my web server to view it. I have a web server at my location setup for PHP but it would still complicate things. If I need to go to PHP I will but I would really rather keep it in HTML if possible.

http://www.shnerdlys.com/1chro1.html

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Shnerdly

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I got it working.

3. Publius

Publius Sergeant

Glad you got the look you want, but I would think about the width of the page. You haven't included the text in your tables and you have the table widths set to 100%, so in IE, it requires users to scroll left and right to see all of the text if they don't have the resolution set high enough (not everyone uses 1280X1024)

You can limit the width of the tables to a fixed number of pixels like this:

Code:
    <table width="800" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" align="center">
    Also add a table tag with the same width specifications around your text and it renders fine both in FF and IE. If you want to give some room around the text in the table, just increase your cellpadding value:

Code:
    <table width="800" border="0" cellpadding="15" cellspacing="0" align=center>
    This gives you some space on the top, bottom and sides.

The other (and more common) alternative is to use one big table to format all of the page with a fixed width.

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Thanks for the reply Publius.

The page I have in the link is of course one just page of very many. I will in the end be presenting it on my church website on which I am using frames. http://www.orthodoxlutheran.org . I know a lot of people don't like frames and there is probably a more modern way of presenting it but for what we need it serves us very well. The bible pages in the example will be shown in the main frame only unless someone decides to open them in a new window.

I have tested it in FF and IE and it automatically resizes to fit the area available by using "<p align=justify>". The only place I had a problem with it needing to scroll left and right was with the bars at the top and bottom but I have repaired that and it seems to be working well now.

Thanks again for the reply.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds