Unable to load any kind of program on windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by caitb94, Mar 3, 2010.

1. caitb94

caitb94 Private E-2

I keep getting an error message that says, "windows cannot find c:/ (exe) (for all programs) please make sure it's typed correctly and try again"
    (forgive me for paraphrasing that)

I've got a DELL Inspiron 1100 running windows XP and recently got a fake-virus trojan (the kind where it says you've got a problem but it's the only real problem there), system restore'd and it was gone. Then another one, although it was somewhat different, popped up. I tried to get rid of it all sorts of ways and ended up trying to delete and uninstall recently downloaded software. I then accidentally deleted the system file that opens files (the whole folder called "Citrix" in my program files) I attempted to system restore at that time, but, as I'd just deleted the program that recognized the file type, it failed to open. Therefore, I tried to re-installed windows XP (from a disc I had from somewhere around 2002/2003, when I originally got my computer), but windows wouldn't open it. Thus, I restarted and while loading I went to F12 and loaded it there. After a while of loading it, it said it couldn't find a certain .dll (or something, I can't quite recall) related to pictures or something (it was supposed to be in a file called pictures or something), and I couldn't find it via searching or by inserting and searching through DELL system discs, so I pressed cancel and put the windows XP disc back in. When it finished loading, I couldn't open ANY .exe files at ALL. I can open firefox (through opening a link from a folder) and internet explorer (through the link at the top of the start menu), but I haven't been able to open a single other thing.

I've tried re-installing things, and it couldn't find the files in the temporary internet folder. I'm attempting to update windows XP to SP3 (I've no clue what SP I'm running now), but I haven't succeeded in that so far.

I'm thinking that it's a system file error, but I've no clue how to fix it. I've tried googling it all and I've come up with nothing helpful. Also, I'm going on vacation very soon and I very much hope to have my laptop with me, so please reply as quickly as possibly. Any help is appreciated. thank you. :)

email me, if needed, at caitb94@yahoo.com, and I'll get back to you either on here or via email asap. thanks again. :)

Also, I apologize if this is in the incorrect forum section.

2. caitb94

caitb94 Private E-2

Huh. Well, I've just found that if I right click and go to "start" or "run as...", then it works. I'm...quite perplexed by this.
    Now, although I can work around it, making it work would still be QUITE perferable, although there's no particular rush anymore if I can work around it for a tad bit.

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Click start - run type in cmd, in the command type sfc /scannow
    Note the space before the /.
    If and when prompted, put in the install disk.

For SP version, goto start - control panel - system, and you'll see what you have.

4. caitb94

caitb94 Private E-2

Neither one worked at all. it said it couldn't find "cmd" or "sfc /scannow" and control panel - system wouldn't open up at all.

I just looked in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and system.drv has the icon of an unrecognized file type. ):

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Can you get into safe mode? How is it then?
    Sounds like you may have malware. Have you looked at the cleaning procedures in the malware removal forum? See the sticky "Read and Run Me first".

6. caitb94

caitb94 Private E-2

Well, I think my computer had a very large pile of problems, but I just formatted my hard drive and restarted everything. I'm still trying to get things the way they were, but the problems I was having seem to be fixed. Thank you very much for the help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds