Software modem out performs a Hardware modem??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LoneGreyWolf20, Jul 7, 2005.

1. LoneGreyWolf20

LoneGreyWolf20 Private First Class

Due to my gaming habits I went out and bought a hardware modem because I was told it will perform better for online gaming. So I went out, spent $80 on a USR5610b performance pro hardware modem. Brint it home and randomly throughout the day, the internet stops responding (no disconnection) and forces me to disconnect the connection and reconnect. Basically what I mean is that if I was browsing, I can no longer browse and check my e-mail or play an online game until I reconnect. This never happened with my going on 6 year old Winmodem, plus the Winmodem connects at a higher speed. I am limited to a 28.8k connection because I am on a pair-gain system through the telco. The 5610b would only connect at 24k or lower. I put the old Winmodem back in and no more problems again. Put the hardware modem back in and back to the internet stop responding problem. So I figure bad modem and bring it back to the store and exchange it for another. Bring the new one back home and the same thing happens.

I call my ISP and after a couple months of back and forth, they still do not have an answer for me. I called US Robotics and they say that it isn't the modem and they can't explain why the Software modem is out performing the Hardware modem.

So I put my Winmodem back in and forget about the problems. That was about 1 1/2 months ago or so. Then last week, my faithful Winmodem fails to connect to the internet and I figure that it gave up the ghost as it were. Put the Hardware modem back in and BAM! back to the problem again of the internet stop responding problem. So, I go to the store and purchase another Software modem, a USR 5699B. I put it in and no more problems again.

I just don't get it. I thought that a Hardware modem was supposed to be better? I can't seem to get over the fact that a Software modem works better than a Hardware modem. I would prefeer using the Hardware modem, but the last time I had it in, the internet stopped responding on me 3 times in a 45 minute period. Does anyone have any clues as to what can be causing it?

DJ

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

I think you are confused on the wording on this.

You purchased an external modem, not a hardware modem. You "software" modem is an internal modem.

The only reason to buy an external modem is if you don't have any room to put in an internal modem in your computer. I'd take back your external modem and just buy an internal modem. Internal modem are a heck of a lot cheaper than what you pay for an external.

3. LoneGreyWolf20

I am not confused at all on my wording. I have an internal USR5610b hardware modem. It does not sit outside of the computer and is in a PCI slot on the motherboard. Where exactly am I confused?

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

I don't think a hardware modem will improve your gaming performance necessarily. Before I got cable, I had a WinModem and it would randomly disconnect me from the net. When using a hardware modem, it fixed the problem. I think the reason for having a hardware modem is so that you can get a stronger connection. (meaning less disconnects, yet obviously not in your case) If your WinModem is connecting at a decent speed, and you aren't getting disconnected, I don't see any need for a hardware modem.

5. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

A hardware modem converts the signal into one your computer can read on the card,a software modem tells the cpu to do it instead,the performance in communication terms is identical,but as your cpu is doing the work the modem should be doing,it has less power at hand for other applications such as games.

I think this is simply a driver or non compatibility issue,check for the latest drivers online at the manufacturers site,update windows and obviously go through all the modem settings,$80 seems really high for a modem for a hardware modem in the uk its about $20,dsl modems are more expensive.

For $80 you could probably get a wireless router and modem

:D

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Sorry, about that, I just learned something new today:

http://www.netfaqs.com/windows/DUN/Modems/advanced.asp

Never in the past have I heard of this. Now I know....

Sorry, for not believing your intelligence on this matter.

7. LoneGreyWolf20

I have already done all that unfortuneately. My drivers are up to date as possible, went through all the modem settings and init strings that both the ISP and US Robotics can give me. I guess along with being on a pair-gain system, I also have crappy phone lines and the Hardware modem can't handle it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds