All Windows text is in Ascii

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ziminy13, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Ziminy13

Ziminy13 Private E-2

Very odd problem.
    My nephew was on my computer for a while, next time I rebooted all the "Windows XP" text was in Ascii. Still is.

I assume he deleted something by accident. Drivers?

I really don't know what to do. Things inside web pages are actually real alphabet letters, but anything I type in the bar is in Ascii, the whole of Internet explorer is ascii characters. All the icons on my desktop are there, but the "words" under the icons are in Ascii characters.

Anyone ever heard of this?
    What should I do?

I can open Control Panel cuz I know where it is, but after that, since it's all in Ascii, I dont know what to click to get anywhere.

Even when trying to post this, down below vvvv in the "Thread Subscription" section where there is a dropdown menu for "Notification Type:" everything in the dropdown is in Ascii as well, but the rest of this page is in english.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Do a system restore, if you can't do that, then start in safe mode and choose " Last Known Good Configuration " that should sort things out for you, as its probably a file that your son has deleted, or messedabout with !

Rusty ! ;)

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try the System Restore as Rusty suggested.

If you still have problems try
    Is there a selection of Fonts in the folder or is it empty?
    If it is not empty do you have any choices such as Set Default available to the side of the window or under the File menu? (I'm on Win7 and can't see how XP's Font folder looks)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds