Using A Server As A Desktop PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elevation, Sep 14, 2010.

1. elevation

elevation Private E-2

Hi chaps,

I have been given the choice of 2 servers that I can have free of charge, a Dell Poweredge 2600 or an HP Proliant ML350 G5 both of which have quad core processors which I understand are ideal for music production.

I use mostly use my existing PC for my hobby which is music production. This often involves running a number of quite powerful music software programmes at the same time.

Hardware wise I have an external soundcard, a synth keyboard, a midi controller, dual screens, 1 TB external hard drive, printer & webcam set up on my existing Dell Dimension.

My question is can either of the 2 servers I have been offered be used as a desk top pc, effectively replacing my dell dimension which has seen better days.

Assuming they can be, is it a complicated task to set up & am I likely to see a much improved performance in my set up?

Basically, is it worth doing?

Many thanks for your help in advance guys :cool

All the best

elevation

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, elevation.

Yikes! Free?

The only things you might have to worry about are:

1. Operating system (you'll probably have to buy/load one).

2. Amount of RAM (don't know what sub-models your machines are, but most servers come with minimum amounts of memory - most are vastly expandable, however).

3. Graphics card - this might be your biggest stumbling block: you might really need to do some research as to what type of graphics ports are available.

Is it worth doing? I'd jump all over them - the price is right, and if those babies are running Xeons, you'll have some serious braggin' rights! :major

3. elevation

elevation Private E-2

Thanks Caliban dude, that was exactly what I needed to hear.

Thank you for such a swift response :clap

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

No problem - looking forward to the trials and tribulations you're going to face, but there are some good people here who will help you out.

You've got the groundwork for some serious machines, there - good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds