Which Desktop is better?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by polandspring05, Jun 11, 2014.

1. polandspring05

polandspring05 Private E-2

Hey guys,

So, I'm looking for a new desktop to replace my old dying computer.
    I would use the computer for some video/audio editing, and light gaming.

So far, I came down to these 2.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-xps-desktop-computer-16-gb-memory-2-tb-hard-drive-black/1311057929.p?id=mp1311057929&skuId=1311057929&st=pcmcat143400050013_categoryid$abcat0501000&cp=1&lp=10#tab=buyingOptions
    &
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-phoenix-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive/3516286.p?id=1219091868848&skuId=3516286&st=pcmcat143400050013_categoryid$abcat0501000&cp=1&lp=7

I'm not the best with computers, so I don't really understand the differences in the specs, so I was wondering if someone could help me identify which computer is better and why?

I'm also open to other desktop suggestions.

Thanks!!!

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!

If you're going to drop $1200 for a desktop PC I would look beyond Best Buy.

First - if you have any geek friends, a PC parts superstore (Fry's, MicroCenter) or a local shop nearby that has a good reputation you might check into having one custom built. With this much money, I could build a similar system for around $900-$1000 including an OEM copy of Windows. Properly built, a custom PC generally has better hardware inside and has more expansion/upgrade potential in the future.

If you don't want to mess with this, go to www.dell.com and look at the business (not "home") PCs. The business models generally have little or no crapware preinstalled, often have better hardware inside and usually come with a three-year (not one year) warranty. Some even offer an option of next-business-day on-site service (as opposed to dropping it off at Geek Squad and waiting weeks for the repair :cry).

Good luck on your choice. Hope this helps. :)

3. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Totally agree with Gman.

I bought my components here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=31

My total build was under $1000.00 -I7,16gb memory, Asus p8z77-v, Thermaltake Overseer case- 6hdd slots.

You will get a much better PC and save yourself some money.

If you don't feel confident in assembling it yourself, Fry's will do it for $80.00

You should also consider an SSD for your main drive- I just put my OS and programs on it and everything else goes on other hdds.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  4. laszlo87

laszlo87 Private E-2

My personal experience with buying pre-built/pre-configured PCs is that it doesn't matter which company you buy from... meaning the warranty is the only real concern.

If you are looking for better performance for less I would start with IBuyPower PCs or CyberPower PCs. They do have a bit of gaming performance in them, and they usually offer a pretty good CPU for your video editing.

Also, have you considered purchasing from Newegg.com? They more than sometimes offer free 3 day shipping. That place is also a great start for picking parts as well when the time comes that you choose to do so! Good luck!

5. laszlo87

laszlo87 Private E-2

6. polandspring05

polandspring05 Private E-2

Thanks so much for this useful advice. I've never built computers or anything, but this does sound like a great idea...especially if I could save some money along the way!

So, I guess my follow-up question is... do you guys know if there are any good resources online to learning how to do so? Or should I just go to one of those PC parts stores and ask them? I don't want them to rip me off or anything.

But I think I would want to try to build it myself. it sounds fun.

7. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

One avenue you could pursue is to have a reputable company, like iBuyPower, build you a PC to your specifications and ship it to you. They have a great reputation, use only the high quality parts you specify, and test your system.

There are other companies that do this also, but they have the biggest reputation.

8. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

These videos will walk you through it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=building+a+computer+step+by+step

Good luck - it's easier than you think!:wave

9. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you are new to buying the parts that make up a PC, you might want to find someone who has built one or two before to help you out.

For either a complete PC or parts, user reviews on reputable websites like Amazon and Newegg can also be helpful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds