Domain or Workgroup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pshanley, Oct 12, 2004.

1. pshanley

pshanley Private E-2

I wanted to get some advice / opinions on the use of Workgroups vs. Domains. Currently, I have about 10 offices which are running NT 4.0 (barf!! I know!!). They are all workgroups. In two of those offices, we are rolling out new PCs that will be running XP. I don't have a very vast knowledge of networking and the pros and cons of Workgroups or Domains. It has been put to me to decide if we are going to do one or the other.
    So this is where you come in. I need advice / guidance / opinions. I understand the rudimentary difference of Workgroups and Domains. Basically, and correct me if I am wrong, all of the locking down of the workstations in a Workgroups setting is done locally on the machine as opposed to the Domain setting where it is done through the user manager. This would mean that I would need a Domain controller in the local office. If I do go with a Domain, I would probably use a Linux box running samba. So, with that said, any help would be, helpful! Many thanks in advance for your wisdom!

Sincerely,
    Padraic

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds