Cost of a Techie.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sikvik, Oct 2, 2008.

1. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Since members on MG are from across the globe - different Continents, Countries, Cities and Metros, large & small towns, villages & boondocks as well.

I was wondering how much it would cost (at your location) to get your PC/LT formatted, clean installed with all drivers etc up and running - net/printers/DSL ISP mail configuration etc and all.

Lets say you only have the original, OS disk and had misplaced all drivers.
    So what's the damage in USD.

Yes most members, would not need this kind of help. And then a lot are probably in this line of business. In that case what would you charge. I've probably missed out somethings so add along the $$ for the fun of it. Lets not get into data recovery etc and hardware.

I'll go first.

1) India
    2) New Delhi
    Approx cost 20 USD

Yep. I can hear the gasps. But 20 USD goes a fairly long way in India. Cheers..

PS: Thanks to MG, I'm a kinda geek, in my house and can fix most issues. :)

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Belgium 40$ US at my local PC shop run by the owner, i suppose the bigger companies would be more.

house call is 30 USD plus time at 50 USD per hour and parts

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  3. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

Over here in Israel it is from a $100 (US) and up

4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Why not add house call and local PC shop if there is a difference.
    And city/town Info if it's Ok

5. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

My first post was for a house call because you requested printer/email excreta and this they won’t do in the shop there they will only do an install plus drivers and the minimum cost would be $70 (US) I am in Jerusalem but it is more or less the same cost in the whole country

6. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Yes my bad. Lets keep it for house calls. And then, for who ever wants to elucidate ...why not.
    Let me add, at my location the cost it kinda fixed over the phone, nothing hourly, but it would be nice to see the hourly factor elsewhere.

Keep it going folks..

Edit to add: Like said I'd, miss things so, feel free to add along.

7. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Depends on the size of the company, I imagine PC World would either turn you away or offer you anything from £50 to £100 (about $80-$170)

Smaller companies wouldn't be as much, maybe £30-£70 (about $55-$120) but I haven't a clue as I've never had to go down this line. I know a lot of individual businesses who would charge roughly £20 per hour (about $35)

Then again, what about coverage from warranty providing the computer was purchased from a big retailer/brand (Dell, Mesh etc)?

8. oma

oma MajorGeek

House call $90.00 CDN per hour + Tax, one hour minimum charge. Had a new bigger HD installed, hardware not included.

9. WharfRat

WharfRat Guest

depends on if I like you on how much I charge....NEVER less than $20 hr, usually $30

If you try to help.......$50 hr

10. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

we don't have a computer repair buisness in our town :eek

the closest one in bemidji (closest big town near here) i dont think will make house calls a half an hour away

but if you bring your computer in i think its about $15-$20 an hour plus the base charge for the specific task you want them to do

11. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Probably around AUD$50-$70 per hour at a PC shop. I usually only charge around AUD$30 for the few housecalls I make (usually to friends, or friends of friends).

We are taking #2 son's laptop back to the shop where we bought it from (still under Warranty) to fix up the "N" key as it won't stay put.

Also, as it was a store demo, we are sick of all the stuff they put on it.
    We are going to ask them to put it back to factory OEM as it was released as there is no hidden partition, or DVD, that came with it.

It is slower than my Vista SP3 and, by its specs, it should run rings around my 2 -3 year old laptop.

It will be interesting to see if they charge, or do it for free. :-D

Bazza

12. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I have no clue. I haven't needed that kind of assistance in years. My charge for assistance is on a sliding scale. The more aggravating it is, the higher the price goes. :D

$10-$15/hr, plus parts is what I charge, since I invariably require parts.

13. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Got the runaround at the store where we purchased the laptop for #2 son. As expected by us, the salesman we spoke to knew less than we did. We were eventually directed to the Acer Authorised repair centre.

We received good attention there and came away with their Schedule of Fees

Labour $$ there is:-

Network Engineer.... $80 per half hour
    Software Consultant $70 per half hour
    Technician..............$60 per half hour

Phone support.........$40 per quarter hour + phone call cost

Workshop...............$60 minimum charge

Loading $$$ apply if after 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

I'm not charging enough. :-D Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds