1 hardware firewall, and 1 software firewall...is that bad or unnecassary??

Discussion in 'Software' started by rogvalcox, Sep 29, 2005.

1. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

If I have a firewall in my Linksys router, plus my Norton firewall...is that considered the same as they telling you not to have more than one AV and firewall on your system!!!!????

Reason I ask...I wonder if that is what is causing my downloads to slow way down, from about 150 to 25!!!! Yes that much!!

Roger

2. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

You dont really need a software firewall unless you want application control other wise the hardware firewall will block everything else if configured right ;)

Brandon

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

No, it's not. The hardware firewall in your router and the software firewall on your computer are two separate systems.

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Well....that's kind of what I thought, but I was looking for reinforcements!!!!

It is really driving me nuts as to why my download speeds are fluctuating so much throughout the day!!!! Me and my dad are both very good with avoiding/eliminating viruses/spyware (currently i'm talking about my dads comp) so I know it is not that!!!! I've always heard that with cable internet you are sharing bandwith with god knows how many people at any given time, and the more you are sharing with at the moment...the slower your connection will be!!!! I don't know to what extent that is 100% true, but even so...would it affect it that much!!!!????

Roger

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Not the same thing.
    Both are a Must IMO & are necessary for Optimal Protection.
    You'll have no conflict running hardware & software but keep in mind you will need to configure them for your needs.
    I would recommend running a Hardware firewall (router) & software firewall as well as AV & spyware utilities.

Here's link with some general info on both types firewall
    http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article.php/3103431

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

I also agree that both a hardware firewall and a software firewall is a must. The NFORCE 4 chipset has this built in on the chipset itself (well the hardware portion), then it also has a software portion as an additive.

On our work's test machine, it seems to be doing a decent job.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds