Virus damaged registry

Discussion in 'Software' started by weesail, Oct 30, 2003.

1. weesail

weesail Private E-2

Hello. I am new to Major Geeks. I recently had two virus attacks. My AVG caught it and cleaned it. However, I still have damaged registries and shared files. For, example : my screensavers won't run more than a few minutes before entire screen goes blank. Even with no screensaver my desktop wallpaper disappears.I have tried several programs to repair this but no luck so far. Hope one of you has a suggestion that will help. Thanks.

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

3. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Windows

or screen savers that you installed aside from the ones that come with the operating system. What screen savers are you talking about.

Reason I ask is because you might fix all this problems by reinstalling windows. You see when you install windows all you are doing is resetting the windows folder c:/windows it does not change the other programs that are in your system

if the programs that are screwing up are not from the operating system try installing those programs again

4. weesail

weesail Private E-2

I run Windows 98, 56 K dial up, 32 bit memory, Pentium 3 processor.. The built in screensavers are the ones that won't run more than a few minutes. As for the desktop wallpaper, it is from a trusted site I have used for years.I did re-install windows . The diagnosis from a scan I ran said the problems were in certain registries and a couple of windows shared files. I am not puter literate enough to feel comfortable messing with such files on my own. I tries several repair programs. They fixed some of the bad files but not all as I still have the problem. Hope this helps you figure out what I should do. Thanks.

5. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Try

also reinstalling the programs that the scan tells you are not set up correctly.
    Also download if you have not done so already

ad aware or spybot or even both

run them on your computer

and try a reg cleaning program too.

any little bit helps.

I recommend this reg supreme reg cleaner just read the threads on it every body has something good to say.

6. weesail

weesail Private E-2

Sorry I have not replied. Just returned from a few days of sailing. I have tried the RegSupreme, have Ad-Aware and AVG. Reg cleaner found 73 invalid keys but I still have the same problem. Puter is functional except for wallpaper and screensavers disappearing after a few minutes. Hope there is something else I can try. Thanks.

7. stuartbuckell

stuartbuckell Private E-2

Your best bet is to backup your work onto CD-R then format the hard disk and reinstall. Simple procedure really, then install the OS again and install ALL The windows updates and driver updates. Then when thats done use Norton Image to make CD's of windows in perfect condition. Then put your backups back on the system and all problems fixed.

When I used win9x I always had a backup operating system which would take me 20min to put windows back rather than hours of formatting and installing all over again.

Sometimes with win9x, you just have to format.

8. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Unfortunately sounds like the only solution you have left. Your problem might be so complicated that what born to defrag says might just be right. I do recall quite a few times in my windows 98 days that I had to do just that since nothing else worked. I do hope you have a backup of all your stuff.

Hopefully someone out there might give you better advise;)

9. weesail

weesail Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestions. If all else fails I will try re-installing everything or just learn to live with no screensavers. ;-)

10. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

let us know how everything works out

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds