Geek Benevolent Fund??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by odiear3rd, Jun 2, 2005.

1. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

I was just thinking that this web site has been so much help to me in providing help to me and to others like myself. It would be nice for members like myself and others to contribute to helping our members. Has anyone thought that we could create a benevolent fund to help our members who needs help. This ofcourse would be a way to express our gratitude to MAJORGEEK for all the support that this website has been to all of us. This is only an idea of mine. Please give any comment you have about this. Thanks for the positive and negitive responces you might have. ODIE :)

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

What, as in donate money to MG for all the support they offer? Could probably do something over PayPal or a cheque??

3. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

I suport the site by clicking the links couple times a day.
    Adds, its how this site is suported.
    Although i hear if you want your don't want some yellow shorts to appear in the mail you should send Star money

4. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

Mcadam: Thanks to your responce! How would you contribute to MG? If all 35000+ member would contribute only $1 a month to this site, think of of what that mounts up to be in a years time. Ofcourse, some could give more to this fund. A person gives to something they belive has help them. And I am saying that this is the Best site that I have found on the net and that has helped me and I want to give back to it for what it has done for me. I pray that many of you think the same way. Everyone donates to their favort charities. This could be one also. What does admin think?? ODIE :)

5. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Aha i gotcha now. Well yes I agree that it's one of the greatest site's I've stumbled across, don't know how I did hehe, but I'm not so sure if I'd go as far as saying "MG is a charity" lol. Perhaps donate some money every now and then to help keep the site going, I know the ads do this too, but also to help with future upgrades to the servers etc.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

make all checks payable to Kodo :)

7. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

Nah, i'm paying mine to The Shoe.
    Shoe.. -200.00 coming your way :D

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

is that (-) minus/negative 200.00 ? or just a dash? :D

9. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

You think i'd give you a positive amount of money :D?

10. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

MCADAM: How can a Member make a contribution to MG?? If MG is a nonprofit Org then you can take your contributions as a tax deduction. I know that w/ a membership of 35,000+ this idea of making monthly contributions would only stregthen this web site. I am only hoping to hear anyone to be in my amen corner. Its only a thought or an idea. Give me a positive or Negative vote of confidense. I plan to put all my marbles in only ONE BAG if you know what I mean. " THE MORE WE GIVE THE MORE WE RECIEVE" ODIE :)

11. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

No McAdam Enterprises and Co. :)

Hmmmm well I'm not sure, you'd have to speak to Tim or Jim about it.

12. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Although the stats read that 35,000 people have registered with MG, not all of these will actually be people who regularly visit the site. Some will have registered to simply seek advice and support for a problem they were expereincing, and once solved, rarely or never visit the site again. Though for the life of me I can't imagine why....... ;)

Kodo...is there any way of telling "live" registration numbers, say, for the last 6 months?

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Active members or Sign ups?... if active members personally would only think of <100 and thats an over estimate, possibly more like 50.

IF you thing of the active members then the ones giving the majority of the help... then they are contributing time, which is just as good as money IMHO.... if its a new member or someone who's had a problem solved giving a donation then fine... does it go into either of two good causes?

1. Help keep MG going
    2. Charity of the Month voted for by the membership

?

14. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

I vote 1, all in favour say aye!!!! :D

15. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

IMHO time is more generous than money. Money can be replaced...time cannot. Those who give generously of their time here are pretty awesome guys in my book :)

16. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Theres a few times when we've wanted to start a fund to make people never to come back, but thats not very nice....

Normally if there is a poblem someone has, they speak about it and people OFFER help. usually the person doesnt ask or they ask on the behalf of someone else and people give what they can.

I think it's a nice idea, to just pool what you can when you can and then dole it out, but who would make the deciscion that a cause was worthy or how much to give. And who would be in charge of it, because the site owners generally dont have that kinda time, this message board is more fos us to hash it out than anything else.

17. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

Wenchie: Thanks for your input. My point about this idea was that members could give back to this web site a monatary gift to help support in the development of this site. And at the same time this web site could help members who might have a monatary need. You can't make this work as a manatory, it has to be a voluntary contribution on the part of the members to give or not to give. If you have been blessed by the help you have recieved from the members of MG, then you would not have any objection to give back to MG. Ofcourse the owners would be incharge totally of all monies and use the monies to assist in the inhancement of thier web site. Maybe members would like this fund raiser not be a benevolent fund but instead be a fund for MGs inhancement. I would like to make a contribution to MG, but dont know how to go about to do this. Where and how to send a contribution to MG??? Please give me some feed back!! ODIE :)

18. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

you'd pay pal it to jim or tim @majorgeeks.com but they make plenty in advertising, i dont think they require donations... i mean, it IS a buisness.

19. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

HALO: Thanks for your responce. Are you saying that MG has between 50 to 100 active members?? I know you members give a lot of your time to helping members ( some 1st visitors). I think we also need to give to MG to help keep MG going. The benevolent fund might be a bad idea in that members would rather like to give to help promote better internet via MG than to create a benevolent fund. Give us some ideas. ODIE :)

20. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

Wenchie: You think they are financally sound enough that they dont need any money from the members?? If you are right then I'm just blowing smoke. ODIE :confused:

21. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yeah members who actively post daily weekly and have done for many years are possibly around 100, their are many others who visit the site read up on the info thats posted ( great way to learn about PCs ) but dont post, they are actively visiting the site but not actively posting in responce to calls for help.

As Wenchie said best to run it by either Tim or Jim as they are the owners of the site.

22. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

It has been done before, sponsored torture and all that :p

I'm sure given a cause it would happen again :D

23. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

They're so damn busy all the time they can't come out and play anymore, so i would assume it's lucrative or they wouldn't bother.

24. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

Halo: MG has been a wealth of knowledge for me. I have learn a lot from just reading the various threads. thanks for the reply. ODIE :D

25. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

We do enough to keep the doors open thanks to people like you and all the people who donate their time helping people in the forums.

We have never asked for donations, we wouldn't even have a way for it to be done. Our income is strictly advertising based, which we try to limit as much as we can. (Hosting files is rather expensive)..

If you like us -- click an ad.
    If you really like us -- Tell a friend.
    If you REALLY REALY like us -- Buy a shirt. ;) We have sort of a "contest" going right now http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=11 ( <-- Shameless plug)

If you hate us -- Blame Kodo. It's his fault.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  26. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

I thought it was the other way aound(unless it's Kodo when your out of towne)

27. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Kodo?

28. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Isn't this how rumours start? Hope you got yourself a great attorney Kodo :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds