I just saw something amazing.......props to nvidia.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by viper_boy403, Jan 7, 2006.

1. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Ok I am totally amazed; nvidia just released the 1st quaq-sli chipest. Its only gonna be in the new Dell XPS 600 renegade for a while but it can run not 2 but 4 cards in sli, and in the case of the renegade, 4 7800gtx cards.............that is just amazing to me..........

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

It's been on the drawing board for a while, problem is, like multicore CPU's, will games and applications be coded to take advantage of it?

The answer sadly is no, not currently or in the foreseeable future.

If you think that's something, PhysX PPUs are being developed by a company called Ageia that make nVidia and ATI look like 32MB onboard video.

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

IMO, I think it's a little rediculous. I mean, what game is actually going to use all that graphical power?

4. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

5. Insomniac

What a waste of money and PCI slots. :)

Someone please tell me what the point is?

6. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Unless you have 4 monitors, and are playing FEAR on EACH monitor seperately on all high settings, only THEN could i see this possibly being stressed. Waste of money and PCI slots if you ask me... And wait... are they PCI or AGP or PCIe?

Anyway there is going to be a MAJOR bottleneck somewhere with THAT much power!

7. gL!tch

gL!tch Private E-2

Wow i dont even know if thats a joke or not, if a single fx-57 proccessor is the only one that does not bottleneck the gtx, what about these cards? and what kind of psu will u need, i agree thats too much

8. Insomniac

If the software doesn't take advantage of the extra GPU's (which it doesn't as I stated), then apart from bragging rights, it's useless.

9. gmjoe

gmjoe Private E-2

I see "Surround Vision" on the horizon!

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I see this card being old and broke, slow tech by the time that happens ;)

Leave it to Dell ;)

They did this in the past with another card, that had a ton of vram on it(at the time). I can't remember specifics, but by the time it was useful, it was old and broke ;)

11. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

You could put 4 6600's but thats kinda pointless too

12. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Pop 4 FX5200's om there with 128MB onboard ram... THAT makes sense! but 4 cards THAT powerful.. wow.. Leave it to DELL to invent something useless.

13. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

yeah that is pretty useless, 2 gigs of ram, 96 freakin pizel pipes. U can run like 4 separate games with that.........or maybe like one game with 4 monitors, surround vision that would be cool. But yeah it would make more sense with like 4 weaker cards. What kinda power supply would u need too? like 2000 watts or sumthin, geez.........

14. gL!tch

gL!tch Private E-2

they said it has 250000 watt psu but i think they made a mistake, its prolly 2500 watts, i saw the video presentation

15. MEGAMANFRE

MEGAMANFRE Private E-2

Anyone else notice how long it is in the pictures?

If I didnt know any better, Id say this is more like trying to see who has the biggest wang, than it is for graphics processing power.

Although, I would love to see what kind of potential it would have. Im actually extremely curious as to what the 3dmark05 scores would be if the rig was completely fitted right.

16. Insomniac

If you read up on the PPU, it runs rings around anything available by nVidia or ATI tenfold.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds