Computer slow to boot up and then slow in working

Discussion in 'Software' started by thai_american_42, Dec 6, 2011.

1. thai_american_42

thai_american_42 Corporal

My computer takes several minutes to boot up and then is very sluggish while operating. I run CCleaner all the time, but that seems to have stopped helping.

As for my usage, mostly, I'm on the Internet, use email, and perhaps MS word. That's about it.

I've had my computer since 2003 and know that I likely have many programs booting up that I no longer use. I feel like reformatting the harddrive and starting all over again. I'm hoping it won't come to that.

I saw http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650 , but am hoping to get help in walking through which programs to remove from startup as well as remove programs I no longer use.

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hello felow , you must follow these really simple steps

Start
    Run msconfig
    Unbox items from the left side in startup tab
    Ok
    Apply

computer will ask you to reboot it , you have to remove any programme from the list accept from microssoft , don't worry , look at my system configuration panel !! :cool

Attached Files:

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What version of Windows? How much RAM in the computer? How much hard drive space is free and what is the total hard drive space? What security programs are you running? All of these things can slow down a computer so before we start clearing things out, we need to know specifics about your computer.

4. thai_american_42

I attached screen shots of my system config and system services. I have no idea of what I need and what I can remove the check from. Please assist in this regard.

Also, here's some info on my computer:

System Information:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page file: 1091MB used, 601 MB available
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A07

Computer:
    Dell Dimension 8300
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
    3.19 Ghz. 1.00 GB of RAM

security program - Norton 360 version 5.0

If I am missing any info that you need, please let me know how to find it. Thanks

Attached Files:

5. falconattack

Hello my friend , uncheck all boxes if you like don't be afraid , norton 360 is very hard for your machine that you need something lighter than norton , you must download this tool

https://www-secure.symantec.com/nor...ted+states&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home

which helps you to uninstall norton , i suggest you this

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

even you have to follow these steps improving your computer health / speed !! :wave

6. plodr

I can see 17 items in your startup list. Are there more?
    Of the 17 showing, if it were my computer, I would disable:
    1. CTHelper (excessive CPU usage)
    2. CTDVDDET.exe (auto-detects and plays a DVD when using a Creative Soundblaster Audigy2 soundcard. Uses about 2.2 MB of memory. Disable it by going to the MediaSource DVD Audio Player, selecting Tools, then uncheck the Auto Start box. It should not start up automatically again)
    3. BCMSMMSG provided you are NOT connecting by dialup. If you are, let it alone it is a voice dialup modem
    4. qttask (when something needs quicktime, it will launch it does not need to run constantly)
    5. sgtray (You do not need Sonic constantly checking for updates)
    6. tfswctrl (packet writing from Sonic; you can launch it as needed)
    7. ccleaner (does not need to run at startup; again you can launch it when you want to clean)
    8. GoogleToolbarNotifier
    Read this http://support.google.com/toolbar/bin/answer.py?answer=73961
    you probably can disable it.

To find out how much hard drive space is used and free: left click on My Computer and then hover your mouse over drive C's icon. It should show you free space and total space. If it doesn't, right click and select properties. You should see it then.

7. thai_american_42

The 17 items in my startup list is all that I see using msconfig. Is there a way to get a more detailed list?

I ran msconfig. In making the suggested changes to the start up, I kept receiving the message:

"An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specific changes."

It's just me that uses this computer at home. I have cable internet (not dial up). How do I log on using an Administrator account?

After restarting, I received the message:

"You have used the System Configuration utility to make changes to the way Windows starts. The system Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows Starts.
    Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility."

What do I need to do to make these changes permanent?

=============
    I just bought Norton 360, so I may need to wait to change it
    =============
    total size 74.4 GB
    FREE SPACE: 15.1 GB

I have a Seagate 500 GB external hard drive that includes most of the photos that are in my Dell computer. However, the Seagate external hard drive stopped working a while back and I'm not sure what photos are duplicate (in both the Dell and Segate memories). I'll start another thread later to see if I can get help getting the Seagate working again.

Below, I posted screen shots of the programs I have installed. I have a Canon Image Class MF4350d printer and a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS camera. In the past, I've had other Canon items, but no longer have them. I don't know what Canon programs I can uninstall. As for the other programs, I may have needed some them at one time, but no longer do. I use the Microsoft Office (word, excel). If possible, please help me figure out which programs to uninstall. Thanks.

=============
    I believe that there are processes running in the background that I don't need, but I don't know how to find them.

Attached Files:

8. thai_american_42

OK, attached is the 5th of 5 pages of programs I have installed.

Attached Files:

9. plodr

I use WinPatrol to disable startup items. Msconfig is used temporarily to see if it makes a difference; if it helps, you can enable the startup items in msconfig and disable using WinPatrol then the message from msconfig will disappear.

This
    Tells me you have 20% free so you are okay in that area.

That I can't do.
    You need to go through and determine what you use and what you don't.

I uninstall programs using Revo Uninstaller (set on Moderate) because it cleans up the registry as it removes a program.

10. thai_american_42

11. thai_american_42

Uninstalling all Adope (Adobe) programs (Air, Reader, Flash, Shockwave, SVG view) seems to have fixed the problem. I rarely use Acrobat reader and can install it when I need it and then unstall it until I need it again.

12. falconattack

You have to replace acrobat reader with similiar programmes like

http://www.stdutility.com/stduviewer.html

or

http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html

because acrobat reader neeed a lot of ram to works with !! :)

13. plodr

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds