This file is destroying my computer.

Discussion in 'Software' started by xhayatox, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xhayatox

xhayatox Private First Class

I recently installed some sort of program called "FB Limiter." Needless to say, I think it was a virus of some sort, and since I've installed it, my computer performance has drastically decreased. My computer has been severely freezing, crashing like crazy, it's just crippled my entire system and I believe this file is responsible for this. Now, I can't seem to remove this file from my computer AT ALL. I've located the folder of this file. It's located in my Program Files folder on my C: drive. Picture below.

[​IMG]

So, when I try to delete this file, I get an error message that says "This file is open in another program." So I open my task manager, and I have located this file and it seems to have attached itself to every single process in my computer. How the hell do I stop this?

[​IMG]

"AXIOMCODER". That's the file right there. As you can see, it's attached into every single process on my computer and I don't know how to stop it.

2. xhayatox

I would really appreciate a quick response from somebody on how to fix this. My computer is a complete mess at this point.

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I went to axiomcoders website and it does look legitimate. Can you delete the file or uninstall the program in safe mode? Can you do a system restore in safe mode to a date previous to the install? If not, you can delete the file offline with a linux disto. I prefer Puppy because of its size and you are automatically logged in as root. Download and burn the iso file then go into Puppy's file manager and delete the offending file.

This link shows the use of the file manager to copy files but it is a good example of the file manager.

http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/win...vista/recover-files-from-hard-disk-vista.html

If you have Malwarebytes installed there is a tool called file assassin under the more tools tab. You may want to try that first.

Edit. It may be better to uninstall the program if possible because if that file has anything to do with LSP than deleting the file may result in no internet. Winsock may have to be reset.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. xhayatox

Thanks for your input. I tried running my PC in Safe-mode just now but that didn't do anything. I can't delete the file because it's running in the background, and I can't disable the processes because they're attached to everything on my computer.

I don't think a System restore would work because I don't know when I installed the program, plus If I do a System restore, I will lose files that I need. I also tried your other suggestion concerning the Malwarebytes Assassin. It did absolutely nothing. Which is oddly strange because I executed it successfully, and when I restarted the computer, the file was still there.. I can't seem to get rid of the damn thing. I can't uninstall it either because it's not in the Add/Remove Programs palette. This is ridiculous. Also, what is a "Linux disto"? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with how to do any of that.. Why do I need to copy files for? I don't understand. I just need to delete this file and remove it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  5. tgell

The link I provided was showing how to copy files. I just wanted to show how the file manager in Puppy worked. Puppy is a linux based operating system that can access your NTFS partition and delete files. Download the iso of Puppy I linked to and burn it with Imgburn. Freeware.

http://majorgeeks.com/ImgBurn_d4870.html

This will create a bootable CD. Boot the CD and click on the hard drive in the bottom lower left of the screen. This will open the file manager (explorer). Browse to your file. Right click and delete.

http://help.artaro.eu/index.php/win...vista/recover-files-from-hard-disk-vista.html

6. xhayatox

Hm.. Is there any alternative? That sounds really confusing..

7. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Which part is confusing? Imgburn or PuppyLinux?

If you need help with ImgBurn, you can review the following guide by dr.moriarty: Using ImageBurn to Burn an ISO image

8. thisisu

Can you run the following and attach the .txt file requested so we can see what may be causing an issue.

[​IMG] Please download Process Explorer by SysInternals to your desktop.
    • See the download links under this icon: [​IMG]
    • Extract the contents of ProcessExplorer.zip into a folder on your desktop entitled "procexp".
    • Double-click procexp.exe to open Process Explorer.
    • From the menu at the top, select View > Select Columns...
      The Select Columns Dialog box appears.
    • In the Process Image tab (you should be here by default), place a check-mark in Command Line.
    • In the Process Memory tab, place a check-mark in Working Set Size.
      Note: It does not matter to me if the numbers in this column are largest to smallest or vice versa.
    • Now click OK to exit from the Select Columns configuration. menu.
    • Now sort the results by Working Set Size -- To do this, click at the top of the column labeled "Working Set".
    • Click File > Save As > Procexp.txt
    • Attach Procexp.txt to your next message. (How to attach)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  9. thisisu

Also install the following: Revo Uninstaller and let me know if FB Limiter appears in this list.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

11. xhayatox

Thank you for your response. I downloaded Revo but FBLimiter did not appear on the list sadly. I followed your instructions on the Process Explorer, and here I have attached the .txt file per your request! Thanks again. I've also attached two screenshots showing you the type of freezes I've been encountering. The browser just freezes over completely, and is totally unresponsive and just freezes. These freezes occur very frequently, mostly when I'm traveling between web pages. I've never had this issue before. Web pages used to load instantly for me and I never had any unresponsive crashes like this so It's just ridiculous that it's happening and I believe FBLimiter is the cause of it because before I installed it, these freezes never occurred.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  12. xhayatox

Here are the screenshots attached below of the unresponsive freezes.

Attached Files:

13. thisisu

I need to gather some more information. Complete the following if you would please:

[​IMG] Now download the latest MGtools.exe to the root of your c: drive.
    • Now run this new MGtools.exe by double-clicking it. (Vista/7 right-click and select Run as Administrator)
    • When it is finished, attach c:\MGlogs.zip to your next message. (How to attach)

Note: Click Yes to the Agreement from HiJackThis twice.

14. xhayatox

No problem at all.. Here is the attached MGtools file.. I really hope you can help me with this. I don't know how much more of this I can take. It's just so damn stressful. I can't even open a simple webpage without having the browser freeze for 5 minutes and crash. It's simply too overwhelming for me at this point. I don't understand what the hell is going on anymore. This computer is generally so fast. I never experience freezing or lags, I just don't know what the hell is happening. I really hope you can help though.. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

15. thisisu

First, I should mention that I've never heard of AxiomCoders before. From what I've read, the FB Limiter program appears to software used to limit the use of websites such as FaceBook, and YouTube.

I can see traces of it embedded into your Winsock2 registry keys (internet related) here:

Code:
    O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\axiomlsp.dll
    "ProtocolName"="AxiomLsp over [MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]]"
    Second, I'd like to know what measures have you taken already to try to remove this software? I don't see anything related to it installed in Add/Remove programs; was it ever listed here?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that you started opening Windows Explorer and deleting anything and everything you could find related to AxiomCoders. Part of the problem with this is that I don't want to give you a potential fix that may or may not work and have it end up making things even worse.

LSP stands for Layered Service Provider. There is a tool that can attempt to repair these winsock entries called LSP-Fix. -- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

You can read here for more details but be careful with this type of tool. It could be disastrous if used incorrectly. This is why I can't recommend you trying it without at least backing up any important data to another source before hand. Better safe than sorry.

I also noticed you are receiving a lot of crashes with Google Chrome. Which browser are you primarily using?

16. xhayatox

Sorry for the delay.

17. xhayatox

Sorry for the slight delay. You are correct. After I installed Axiomcoders, I immediately started deleting every single trace of that was on my C:Drive except this last one that I can't get rid of because it seems to be attached to my processes. So yeah. It was originally on my Add/Removes palette, but after I started deleting traces of it, that's when it vanished from that list. Yes, I've also been experiencing crashes regularly since I installed this AxiomCoders crap. I use Google Chrome as my primary browser but I've been switching between Firefox on and off. Both browsers seem to be equally as unstable. They seem to run fine for a certain amount of time, but then randomly webpages will instantly start freezing up and crashing and it's just such a pain. I honestly never recall a time when my computer had trouble running browsers properly. I've always had instant load times, and no choke-ups but it's just been such a hassle all week. But yeah, I do truly believe these crashes are somewhat related to the Axiomcoders. If Axiom is running in the background of my processes, it could be the reason why I'm having all these slowdowns and freezes. I don't know what to do anymore at this point. I feel like I'm in over my head. I even tried updating the browser to a newer version, and that still did nothing. Like for instance, I was just using Firefox a few minutes ago, running some simple Google searches with at least 3 tabs open, and it froze and crashed 7 times in the last 5 minutes. I can't even perform my regular daily tasks anymore it's just unbelievable at this point.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  18. xhayatox

My browser has frozen and crashed about 85 times in the last hour.. I would really appreciate a fix for this. I can't take this anymore. I can't even occasionally browse the internet without encountering a freeze or crash within seconds and minutes. It's just unbearable at this point.

19. tgell

Because you deleted traces before you used Add/Remove it might be possible to install the program over itself and then going to control panel add/remove programs to remove it.

20. xhayatox

Yes, but even so. I don't know for certain if this program is the reason my computer is behaving like this. That's why I would like somebody to help me determine the cause of these recent slowdowns and sporadic crashes..

21. Kydwyn

Kydwyn Private E-2

Have you looked to see if you have Restore points that are dated previous to the installation of AxiomCoders?

22. xhayatox

I checked but I don't seem to have any.. Regardless, like I said. Before I do anything hasty, I need to determine whether or not AxiomCoders is the source of the problem here. Or if there is another reason my computer is acting up like this. So can somebody please just help me? It's been over a week with little to no responses and I just don't know what I'm supposed to do at this point. My computer used to be so lightning fast and I very rarely experienced lag spikes, but It's just getting out of control at this point. Like, seriously.. I really need some assistance here. I need to figure out why my browsers are crashing so much lately. I need to get things running smoothly again.

23. xhayatox

Seriously... I really need a solution for this.. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do. I'm been dealing with freezes and crashes for the last two weeks. I can't relax until it's stable again. I need to be able to browse the internet smoothly again without experiencing any huge lag spikes and browser freezes and crashes. I am getting so tired of this bullshit computer. Why is this happening? I was on TMZ.com a few minutes ago, and I couldn't even scroll down one page of the website without the browser freezing 5 times and crashing. This is just freaking crazy.

24. Kydwyn

Kydwyn Private E-2

Have you tried running CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner ? Sometimes the registry clean will give you some clues when you read the list of registry keys that need deletion.
    Try running CC and then at the run command type: [msconfig] when the System Configuration panel comes up go to the start up tab and hit the [disable all] button. Now your machine with only totally required stuff and then you can re-enable things one at a time to see if you can catch the likely offender.
    =)

25. tgell

All the problems started after installing axiomcoders, correct? If you are concerned about a malware infection, go to the Malware Removal Forum and post your logs according to the sticky. I would do this first and if they determine you are not infected, come back and repost to this thread.

I may be wrong but I believe all of your problems are axiomcoders related.

26. Kydwyn

Kydwyn Private E-2

What browser are you using?

27. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

@xhayatox: I know this is frustrating for you. We are working to try and help you but we need you to calm down and try what we suggest.

Could you please try to reinstall FBLimiter and remove it from the Windows Unistall List without deleting any files yourself? This may be the quickest way to determine if this program is the cause of the problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds