Used Dupeless 2 to find & compare files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by SuzAuten, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuzAuten

SuzAuten Private E-2

I've inherited a PC at work which has many duplicate files on it. I was given the name of a utility Dupeless 2 to find & compare the files and their contents. Anyone used it? Or do you know of any other program, shareware or fee, that will do this for me? The machine is a mess having had 4 different users in less than 2 years. Thanks.

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I've inherited a PC at work which has many duplicate files on it. I was given the name of a utility Dupeless 2 to find & compare the files and their contents. Anyone used it? Or do you know of any other program, shareware or fee, that will do this for me? SuzAuten <<

I’ve used the PC Magazine utility "Dupeless 2" and it works well; although if you’re not used to using this kind of utility; configuring it properly can be a little tricky. This is most definitely not one of those types of utilities that users can simply open and start clicking away without knowing what it actually does and the consequences of how it's various configurations and available optional settings will affect the results of its 'duplicates' scans.

Therefore I would strongly suggest not 'trying it out' until you investigate more about how to most effectively use it. You can find out far more about it from the Dupeless 2 developers here. Also there is a PC Mag forum where you can ask specific questions about how to get the most out of using Dupeless 2 which can be found here.

There are in fact; numerous programs and utilities available out there on the web - too many to list here - that have the ability to scan drives, offer a duplicate list and then allow users to compare files to know which ones you can delete. Using these applications can often let you free up a significant amount of drive space by getting rid of duplicates.

Most of these utilities are shareware; but the best one that I know of (most accurate, easiest to use, etc) is actually a freeware application called Duplicate File Finder which is an easy-to-use and simple, but efficient tool to find duplicate files in one or more selected search paths. You can then choose to delete the selected duplicate or original files. The program is multi-threaded and performs scans quickly.

Often these types of programs are slow and tend to be inaccurate; especially when they're not configured properly, but what I like best about Duplicate File Finder is that doesn’t "mistake files as duplicates" as many others do. The reason is that as it scans the users files it very carefully matches them up based on Byte for Byte Comparison, which ensures nearly 100% accuracy. And you don’t even have to install the program with unnecessary added registry entries, etc. so it's a very clean to run since it is a "stand-alone" .exe.

Important Note: While these types of ‘duplicate file finder’ utilities are certainly handy and can save you time finding unnecessary files; make absolutely sure that you do not delete files if you do not know what they are! And I especially do not recommend that you search your 'System Directory' and delete any/all the duplicate files it contains; since your operating system may need those files!

Before using this or any other program that you are not entirely familiar with - as a precaution make sure to always Create a System Restore Point - just in case something goes wrong during or after using the program. This will allow you to return your computer settings to the state your PC was in - prior to making the changes. It takes like 30 seconds to perform a System Restore Point and can save you many hours of headaches and frustration; should something unforeseen go terribly wrong.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds