Windows XP running but cannot run Regedit , cmd , sfc -- can run notepad

Discussion in 'Software' started by jpa, Oct 10, 2005.

1. jpa

jpa Private E-2

I had a problem recently and folowed the excellent suggestion to restore the 5 hives and windows XP is running - but there are still problems - cannot get the auto installer to run cannot seem to get cmd , regedit, ctrl alt del to appear on screen even when run manually from c:\windows\system32 ...notepad eventvwr runs - cannot view services - would it be that the dll have not been registered correctly ? I have tried to reinstall Windows XP but it always fails and I have to revert to the 5 hives stored in a tmp file - any suggestions been at this a few days now

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

A format and reinstall would be the best solution, but why does it "always fail"?

It also sounds like your computer is infected.

Have you paid a visit to the SPYWARE FORUM?

3. jpa

jpa Private E-2

I don't think its infected - more like I'm infected - have Norton running in the background - I tried to reinstall windows XP but it just seemed to stall with a black screen and a BIG arrow in the centre - I had left it running - so I just used restored the 5 hives and got windows running again

4. Insomniac

Norton, or any antivirus, can't protect you from everything.

It's not only viruses you have to worry about, but spyware, adware, worms and trojans, which is why you need several different programs and not just antivirus.

I still don't know why you can't install XP. A black screen and BIG arrow doesn't tell me a lot.

What procedure did you use and what steps do you take? How far does it get?

5. jpa

jpa Private E-2

I used the upgrade CD that I have - selected the Upgrade Recommended and let it run - it restarted and then after some time just seemed to hang - this all started some weeks ago when I tried to download an update for Smartdraw 7 and it hung - then I had problems with Norton just trying to log onto to the sysamtec site - it wouldn't let me do it - I may be clutching at straws but is there a utility that allows you to re-register all the dlls .....

6. Insomniac

It's not difficult to register dll's, but I'm confused as to why you want to?

As far as the upgrade CD, you can use it like a full retail CD, meaning you don't have to select upgrade.

Just do a format and install. The only difference between an upgrade CD and a "full" Windows CD, is that during the installation process, it will ask you to insert your existing Windows CD to check eligibility.

Apart from that, there is no difference.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds